Chapter 41.) All Jokes Aside

While the trio was enjoying their last day in Philly, the family back in Virginia had been doing well with their businesses and personal lives. Assyria had one encounter during the night and King and Renae had trouble calming her down. Physically, she was home but her mind was stuck on a loop repeating the harsh abuse she endured while under Meel's supervision.

Therapy was the first thing King suggested the morning after but Assyria wasn't ready for it yet. Having no choice but to fully talk about everything that happened would send her over the edge and she wanted to try things her way until she no longer had a choice.

King didn't like it and neither did Renae, but it's what she wanted. So instead of trying to force her and tell her that she had no other choice, they just rode it out with her. For three nights, she had nightmares out of this world. Seeing her in that state cut King deep. She was safe now but to have some knowledge of what happened, pissed him off.

He had the urge to dig Meel's body up from wherever they put him and kill him all over again. Although his rage was warranted, Assyria was his main concern. It was already hard for Renae to deal with things because she understood firsthand what Assyria was going through but if King had to admit, she was handling things better than him. That wasn't an issue though, both parents couldn't be a wreck, and wanting to seek vengeance, she was the better half and wore it well.

It didn't go to say that she wasn't hurting, but she managed her feelings better in a way to be there for their daughter the way she needed.

It was August the 4th, Ava, Kairo and Lucky would be flying in tomorrow morning, but while they were gone, Renae and Assyria had stopped over the twins house to pick up Neela and Omari. While Renae was upstairs getting Neela ready and talking with Reign, Assyria was downstairs having a conversation with Laiya. Dante had told her about the conversation they had at the rec center and how Laiya was afraid to say anything because she didn't want anyone to blame her if something happened.

Assyria understood but also wanted her to understand that it would be in her best nature to tell her father what her mom was planning on doing and to tell her sister. If she wasn't, Assyria sure would.

"I don't know tho, like I always hear stories about how... wild your mom can get and it'll be extremely weird if her and my mom fight. Then I'll have Eve coming for me," Laiya explained.

"If she's purposely picking fights with him and bashing him around you, you gotta tell him. It'll be bad if he's home one night sleeping and tha' cops pop up trying to serve him papers."

"That's true, that's what Dante said too... but you guys know I don't like drama... I don't even fight."

Assyria chuckled, "You don't have to know how to fight to speak up for yourself, your mom is wrong and my Gramps doesn't even bother her. You of all people know dat, why tha' heck does she need money anyway? He takes care of you," Assyria frowned. She always felt that Lucy was a bit off and when she discovered the tea about her grandfather sleeping with his son's girlfriend's mother, Assyria just knew that was a ship waiting to sink.

"She's trying to stop working early... don't say anything, please... but I think she wants the money for herself."

Assyria pursed her lips, she was definitely saying something. Or should she? "Mm," she hummed, "How did she act when he dropped you off?"

"She tried to tell him that I couldn't come back around you guys but he didn't even say anything to her. I thought he was going to snap or something but he just blinked at her then looked at me and said he'll pick me up on his birthday."

Assyria shook her head.

Lucy was picking on purpose, but what was the damn reason? She knew how Renae could get so why was she setting herself up for an obvious beat down?