" You are very humble beta. Durga maa bless you."

Aarti smiled in return but her eyes landed on Aniruddh and it vanished. His pain fresh in her memory, his muffled scream coming back to his ears. How did this happen ? How could they be so careless with him ? He had been alright yesterday. But not much, she remembered. He had looked drained the other night while he was trying to cheer his little wife up. He had thanked Aarti with a smile that didn't reach his eyes. She stepped near him.

" How is he...?" She asked.

" Not that well..." Trilochan said heavily. " But...but would be alright soon .. He will be ok before Bondita comes back."

" Back...?" The question just left her lips before she could realise she should not have asked. She might know Aniruddh but she was not his fast friend. She had no social standing to be among the people she was amongst right now. Leave social status, she didn't know this family well to be asking personal questions.

" She is in her school." Sampoorna answered.

School ? Leaving him like this ? From what she heard from villagers, Bondita loved her husband. Was crazy about him. Maybe not true afterall.

" Barrister Babu would have wanted it." Aarti smiled and it made Sampoorna angry. Maybe she was wrong to judge her quickly but she just couldn't help it. " He has done so much for education of young girls. He would not want any of them to miss even a single day of school."

" Yes. Yes...he has done much." Trilochan agreed. Maybe too much.

" We should get going Zamindar Babu." Kalindi announced.

" So soon ?" Trilochan asked.

" Yes. We just wanted to see Jamai Babu."

" Wait till Bondita comes back."

" No. It would be too late. Take care of him. And please tell me if you need anything. Day or night. We will come running." Kalindi turned with a worried look to Aniruddh.

" I know..." The soft voice of Trilochan made her look at him. Old memories resurfacing. One when she really had come running to him. She didn't want them to knock at her old heart. She was too forgone for that. But it seemed...he wasn't.

" I am waiting outside Sumati." She said in a low voice but could not take her eyes off Trilochan's face. He was worried. He was pained. And now...he was disheartened too.

" I will accompany you...to the door..."

Kalindi didn't resist the request wanting not to create unnecessary dialogue. Trilochan and Kalindi left leaving Sumati , Sampoorna and Aarti behind. Aarti was about to turn and leave when she noticed the pillow under Aniruddh's neck kept at an awkward position.

" His...neck is hurting. I think..." She told Sampoorna bending just a little to have a proper look. This made Sampoorna stomp her way upto her with her big belly as fast as she could and stand between Aarti and his bed blocking her view.

" Really ? Let me see." She turned to Aniruddh and bent like Aarti had, pushing Aarti back in the process. " No it is fine." She declared.

" Oh. But I thought it looked..."

" It is fine." Sampoorna pressed her lips in a smile but Sumati knew she wasn't actually smiling. She knew her well. She had been her daughter once.

" I...am sure...it is...but..."

" Somnath has placed it that way." Sampoorna was getting irritated. What did this woman think of herself ?! " He is a doctor you know ? Barrister Babu must have told you about him. No ?"