35

Lorenzo's POV

Warning: Light mention of contemplation of suicide.

• • •

I didn't think I was afraid of much of anything anymore. Some things you just grow out of. I didn't have room to be afraid of anything other than my father.

Everyone talks about the toll not having your father around has on you, but not many people speak about having your father around, but flinching at every sudden movement.

I loved knowing Love. She made my life worth living.

She made me look at life with a new perspective.

The night before I met her, I contemplated taking my own life. I felt like death was a much better option than living out the rest of my life in fear of the man who was supposed to teach and guide me through becoming one.

When I introduced myself to her, I instantly knew she was special. I never believed in love at first sight, but her dark curls and freckled face changed that. Her bright smile and bubbly laugh could light up a room.

A life without Love would be like the moon without the sun.

I couldn't be without my girl.

I tried everything before my father made me make the move with him back to Korea.

It took everything in me to leave without saying goodbye.

Before my life made a complete one-eighty, I was afraid of normal things like the dark and spiders. But growing up, you grow out of things and into new ones.

I believed I didn't have fears anymore.

That was until I stood beside Love as she was laid out on a hospital bed. Breathing, but not conscious. It was like a part of my heart had simply stopped working. She was the reason I kept going.

After the death of my mother, I was reminded I couldn't let Love leave me as well.

I stood there for a few moments, watching as her chest rose and fell. As her eyes stayed shut, and as she looked as peaceful as ever.

The doctors said she'd wake up soon.

It's been four days.

Four days of agony.

Nevertheless, I tried to stay strong and focused on things that needed my immediate attention. Like how Volkov is completely off of the grid, as well as my uncle. Though those setbacks needed my full focus, Love was still at the forefront of my mind.

I never would've thought I could be so vulnerable.

"Enzo?" Mila called out for me. "You need to eat, honey."

I look up from Love, and at her mother. "I'm fine, thank you." I dismissed her.

I haven't left her side for four days, and I'm not going to start now.

"Are you sure? Love's grandmother will be here soon. She won't be alone." She assured me, but somehow, I didn't feel very secure.

"I'm sure. I will go for a cup of coffee, though." I gave her a small smile as I exited the room.

I was headed for the hospital cafeteria when I felt the sudden urge to leave. My judgement was clouded and I needed to clear my head.

Leaving the building, I was met by a what seemed like a heated conversation between Santiago and Akeno.

I did not need that right now.

Santiago stalked toward me, angrily. His hand balled into a fist. He swung at me with full force, his fist colliding with my face, causing my head to move to the side, and my body to stumble a bit.