24. Lighter

Amanda

You know that feeling you get when you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar? That's what I felt at this moment,except 20 times worse.

It seemed like all the muscles in my body had frozen. I just stood there, my back facing my mom. I screwed my eyes shut hoping that this was just a dream.

"Amanda. I'm talking to you. I demand an answer. Right. Now." She said calmly.

I turned around slowly, my head hung low. I don't think I can handle seeing her face right now. I could already imagine the look of disappointment on her face.

"Look at me."

I raised my head tardily, looking anywhere except her face.

"You were kidnapped? When? How? Why didn't you tell us?" She fired the questions at me, not giving me a chance to explain.

I gaped at her, unable to form words. After a minute or two, I regained my composure.

"Wait, I think you have to sit down first. Please hear me out first." I pleaded with her. She sat down on my bed and I sat down on the swivel chair at my desk.

"So I take it that you heard the some part of the conversation?"

"I heard all of it."

"O-okay. Do you remember that time I planned on going to spend the week at Zane's beach house? That week, I was kidnapped...by Austin." I narrated while playing with my fingers, hoping to relieve myself from all the tension in the room.

"Austin? Like your ex? I thought he moved?" She asked, looking confused.

"It's true that he moved. He did that to run away." I didn't tell he that Austin was back because she would want to involve the police and I really don't want that to happen.

I narrated the whole incident to her and she was full on crying right now.

"But why didn't you tell us all that happened?" She asked between sobs.

"I didn't tell you because you and dad had so much going on your lives that that time. I didn't want to burden you and dad. You both were trying so hard to make ends meet. I tried to tell you but something in my head just kept reminding of the situation at that time. I just couldn't bring myself to tell you." I ranted. Tears were welling in my eyes, threatening to fall.

"Oh, my baby." My mum pulled me in for a hug. That was all it took for the tears to fall.

"You know we need to tell your dad about it." Mum pulled apart and told me sternly.

"Uh... he's aware. I told him when he came up to call me down for breakfast." I said with a sad smile on my face.

"How did he take it?" She asked looking shocked that her husband knew already.

"Um... I think he took it well, but he was disappointed in himself because he didn't notice that there was something up with me." I explained then looked up at my mom. She had a sorrowful look on her face.

"Anything wrong, mom?

"I'm sorry that your dad and I didn't pay attention to you. We were so caught up in our problems that we didn't notice what was wrong with you. I'm so sorry."