Songbird

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this weather," Tom said, squinting in the bright morning sun. It was only 17 degrees, cool for Los Angeles, but the sun was warm and bright. April in London was nothing like this.

"Get used to it," Peggy smiled, lifting her face to the blue sky. "Welcome to Burbank."

"I suppose it's all part of the Disney magic then?" Peggy winked at him and they walked towards the next building on the tour.

It was Tom's first day at the Disney studios and he was as excited as a school boy. He felt as though he was sneaking around the bits where all the magic happened, like he had snuck away from where he was supposed to be. He had been waiting for this day to arrive since he was first offered the part of James in The Pirate Fairy, and was even more thrilled when Peggy had offered him a tour of the studios the day before he got started.

They had already taken in the animation sections and he couldn't believe the talented artists he had met along the way. Drawing was not his strong suit and he had always admired people who made it look so effortless.

The next area was where the sound recording happened and Tom was fascinated by the recording and mixing desks. Of course he had seen them before, but not on this scale! The final corridor was filled with small rehearsal rooms ranging from completely empty to walls full of instruments and computers and every configuration in between.

"So I was thinking we'd get coffee and then I can introduce you to the other guys you'll be working with tomorrow. Do you have anything planned this afternoon?"

"Tom?"

"Hm? Oh gosh I'm so sorry," he suddenly realised he had not only stopped in the middle of the corridor, he hadn't heard a word Peggy had said.

From somewhere not to far away he could hear something almost familiar, but at the same time completely intriguing. He listened for another moment and recognised the lyrics, but the voice was certainly not Katy Perry and the style was raw, acoustic, and beautiful.

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar, louder
Louder than a lion, cause I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar

"Everything OK?"

"Yeah, absolutely. Sorry. Who is that? It's beautiful."

Peggy stood and listened for a moment. "Ah, that's Kate. She does a lot of our soundtrack work. She also does some vocal coaching and arranging for us. She's been working with us for a few years and has recorded the theme songs for all the Tinkerbell movies so far."

"Vocal coaching? So she will be working with me?" Tom had been incredibly nervous since Peggy first mentioned he would be singing in the film.

"Actually, no. We have another coach lined up for you. Kate is taking some leave to visit her family."

She lead him down another corridor and out the exit. It wasn't until he was again blinded by the sun that he realised they hadn't passed the room she was in, and he was a little disappointed. Ah well, I'll be back tomorrow.

After meeting some more of the crew he would be working with, Tom headed back to his apartment in LA. He went over the script for tomorrow a few more times before flipping through a couple of new ones Luke had asked him to look at.

More than once he wondered what Kate might look like. He was familiar with her voice, he was sure he had heard it before. Tomorrow he would make a point of being introduced, even if he had to do it himself.