Chapter Twenty Eight

Leonore recounted her memories of that time but left out the mind blowing sex with Virginia and the fact she stabbed Claire as Katie was there, not fully trusting her. She would tell Kathy in private that part as Caro and Angie didn't need to know what she had done, protecting them from her darkness.
"You stayed with that bitch to protect me." Caro said, finally understanding the sacrifice they made for her.

"Yes, that is how much we love you and we would do anything to protect you." Leonore answered, seeing the sadness in her eyes.

"I'm so sorry." Caro said, hating herself for being so selfish.

"It's ok bub, we are together now and that is all that matters." Kathy replied, hugging Caro and reassuring her.

"I don't blame you Caro and your happiness is all that matters." Leonore said, taking her hand and kissing it.

"But you don't understand. I knew about you two and my jealousy kept me silent, and I was angry with you both. Dad told me that you couldn't help it as you are each other's life partners, but I couldn't let you as I thought what I felt was love. I am so sorry." Caro said, explaining her silence to them.

Leonore felt like she had been kicked in the stomach and chest, all her breath stolen from her. They sacrificed everything for her, and she couldn't do the same for them. Anger started to build up inside her and she wanted to slap the shit out of her. But Leonore took several deep breathes to swallow her anger, she couldn't lose control. It was just best to move on and hate her in private.

"It's ok Caro and I understand." Leonore replied, lying to Caro and swallowing her anger.

"How long Caro?" Kathy asked, anger in her voice.

"After Leo broke up with Virginia, I saw you in bed together and you both were asleep." Caro answered, understanding her anger.

"We sacrificed everything for you and were held prisoner by that bitch and you knew the whole time. What makes it worse your father knew you knew and didn't tell me." Kathy said, angry and hurt by Caro and Greg.

"I'm sorry Mummy." Caro answered, seeing how upset she was.

Kathy got up and went inside, she needed space from Caro, and she was furious at Greg for not telling her. Kathy couldn't believe he would betray her like that, especially after all the sacrifices she made for him and Robert. She was just as furious at Caro as she let them suffer because she was jealous. It hurt especially when they sacrifice everything to protect that selfish bitch. Angry tears began to fall from her eyes, and she laid on the bed, letting all the negative emotions to cry out of her body. When she felt Leonore climb on the bed, Kathy spun around and snuggled into Leonore. Letting her hold and comfort her, the tears came more easily with Leonore there to protect her.

"I don't understand Little one." Kathy said, clinging to her.

"I know Kathy, I don't understand either. I know it hurts but we can't change anything, we have each other now and that is all that matters." Leonore answered, also feeling betrayed by Caro and Greg.

"Did you mean what you said to her?" Kathy asked, not ready to forgive her.

"No, what she did was unforgivable. I just said it because that I thought it was what you wanted me to say, and I was trying not to lose my temper with her." Leonore answered, not feeling forgiving either.

"Maybe you should have lost it with her, she needed to see how angry we are at her." Kathy replied, sorry she didn't explode at her.

"No, the anger I feel isn't good and I don't want to lose control. There is something I need to tell you; I didn't want to say anything in front of Katie and with her being a lawyer I was too scared. I lost control with Claire when she threatened to kill you and I hurt her. I stabbed her and that is why she went in front of the car." Leonore told her the truth of what happened that day.

Kathy pulled away from Leonore and looked at her to see if she was telling her the truth. Seeing no lie in her face, she understood why Leonore acted the way she did and why she was so broken. Also, why she avoided losing her temper. Leonore killed Claire to protect her. No wonder she felt so hurt and betrayed by her for abandoning her that day.

"Please say something Kathy." Leonore said, feeling very scared.

"It's alright Little one, I won't tell anyone, and it doesn't change the way I feel about you. I know you were protecting me. I'm sorry you had to carry that burden alone. You don't know how much regret not going with you that day." Kathy answered, reassuring her nothing had changed between them.

"I know Kathy. I stopped being mad at you a long time ago and I forgave you as I love you more than my own life. We were both betrayed, but our love can't be broken. Runaway with me." Leonore replied, glad she didn't scare her away.
"Where will you take me?" Kathy asked, not really caring as long as Leonore was with her.

"Let's go to England." Leonore answered, wanting to go there finally.

"When are we leaving?" Kathy asked, ready to leave.

"End of the week." Leonore answered, that should be enough time to organise the plane.

"Deal." Kathy answered, wanting to leave just as much as Leonore.

Kathy liked the idea of going to England with Leonore and after the betrayal of Caro and Greg, she had nothing stopping her now. Finally, Leonore was hers and she knew just how much Leonore loved her and how far she would go to protect her. Kathy knew who Leonore was and that was why she wasn't frightened by Leonore's confession. She guessed a rational person would be, but Claire did throw herself in front of the car and that was what really killed her in the end. So, really Leonore didn't really kill her. Kathy understood now and understood the sacrifice Leonore made for her, why she was so broken when Claire died. Leonore killed herself that day for her and lived with the burden with what she did alone, what Leonore did for her. No wonder her betrayal hurt her so much and she died in front of her at her abandonment. What amazed her about Leonore was that she despite living with the knowledge that she killed someone and still came back to them, forgiving them for abandoning her. Leonore came back for her in more ways than one.

"Marry me." Kathy said, wanting her to be completely hers.

"Show me the ring first." Leonore answered, teasing her before accepting.

Kathy pulled away from Leonore and reached into her bedside draw, pulling out a blue velvet box. Facing Leonore and opening the box. Inside was a white gold claddagh ring with a sapphire in the heart sitting in the white lining, it was stunning and perfect. Leonore reached into her bedside draw and pulled out a red velvet box, opening it to reveal the exact same ring.

"Great minds think alike." Leonore said, giving Kathy her answer.

"Just steal my thunder why don't you." Kathy answered, pretending to be annoyed.

"Shut up and marry me already." Leonore replied, putting her hand out for her to put the ring on and putting the ring on Kathy's hand.