Chapter Fifteen

Leonore got a taxi to the university and followed the directions given to her. Finding the psychology department and going to the receptionist.

"Good morning, I have a meeting with Dr Evelyn Hall and I'm Dr Leonore McNally." Leonore said, introducing herself.

"I will let her know you are here." The receptionist answered, picking up the phone.

Leonore went over to the landscape on the wall, it was a country scene of a river and cabin and was beautifully painted. The trees were autumn colours of yellow, red and orange, her favourite season and the water of varying blues.

"Dr McNally." A woman said, pulling her out of her criticizing.

"Dr Hall?" Leonore asked, not knowing what she looked like.

"Yes, please call me Evelyn as I only let my students call me that." Evelyn answered, shaking her hand.

"Please call me Leo and I agree with you on that point." Leonore replied, noticing she had a firm handshake.

"Alright, follow me and we will get this pesky paperwork done." Evelyn said, leading her to her office. "Chris speaks highly of you."

"Don't believe all the hype Chris is rather bias when it comes to me." Leonore replied, adoring Chris.

"I have known Chris for thirty years and know she finds people rather invaluable, but you have fan in her." Evelyn said, amazed at her respect for Leonore.

"Yes, it is her most endearing quality and I can see her point sometimes." Leonore replied, admiring Chris.

Once in Evelyn's office they sat down at the desk, and she gave Leonore the paperwork.

"We have housing available, if you need somewhere to stay." Evelyn said, not sure if she needed it.

"That won't be necessary as my partner, and I just bought a house in Glenelg but thank you." Leonore answered, signing different forms.

"Lovely, do you have children?" Evelyn asked, making polite conversation.

"No, well only a naughty fur baby." Leonore answered, "Have you?"

"Yes, my wife and I have two children." Evelyn replied, showing her a picture of a woman and man.

"Lovely, Kathy and I have never considered it and after raising two daughters she has done her duty." Leonore said, not wanting children.

"Understandable." Evelyn said, presuming she was a lot older than Leonore.

"All done." Leonore said, sighing the last document.

"Wonderful, now we usually do a mixer before the new semester starts and introduces everyone old and new. We are generally a friendly bunch. I will take you on a tour of the uni if you like." Evelyn answered, seeing no point to introduce her to the staff yet.

"That will be great." Leonore said, getting up.

They spent an hour touring the uni, Leonore tried to memorise where lecture and tutorial rooms are as she could get lost here. They made small talk and got to know each other better. She got the information for Caro about the Art degree, unfortunately she would have to wait for the new year to enrol and study. They walked back to the psychology department after getting a coffee in the hub.

"Thank you for showing me around today." Leonore said, having enough.

"You are welcome." Evelyn answered, liking her.

"Well, I just have to figure out the buses now as Adelaide traffic scares me a little." Leonore replied, wanting to know the buses to the uni.

"I don't blame you. Well I will see you just before the new semester." Evelyn said, agreeing with her.