Chapter Eleven

Leonore stood waiting outside the National Gallery of Australia for Virginia, they were seeing the Egyptian exhibition, and it was their first date. Though the plan was that they would casually bump into each other and see the exhibition together for professional boundaries reasons.

"Miss McNally, are you here to seeing the exhibition?" Virginia asked, walking towards the door.

"Yes, professor Blaidd, I'm fascinated by the Ancient Egyptian culture." Leonore answered, entering the gallery.

"You here alone?" Virginia asked, wondering if she was meeting anyone.

"Yes, my friends don't share my passion for history." Leonore answered, giving her a sad look.

"Well, I am here by myself too and it would be more fun to see it with someone else, than alone. Do you care to join me?" Virginia said, trying not to laugh at her pouting.

"That would be lovely as I agree with you and thank you." Leonore answered, finding this all amusing.

They paid for their tickets and entered the exhibition, walking slowly around the artefacts. Taking advantage of the crowd and stood close together, brushing their hands together.

"You are wearing the perfume; it smells so much better than the one you were wearing and makes me want to bury my nose in your neck." Virginia said, pleased with her scent.

"Yes, it is beautiful and thank you. I would like that very much." Leonore answered, feeling a jolt of pleasure. "The feeling is mutual."

Virginia chuckled at Leonore's comment and bit her bottom lip at the thought.

"Don't do that." Leonore said, the action making her feel warm inside.

"As you wish." Virginia said, smirking at her.

They finished the tour and entered the gift shop. Leonore unable to resist the figurines buying all the gods and goddesses and the four canopic jars. Once they were out of the gift shop, they had a look at the gallery's gift shop and Leonore bought several postcards of artwork she liked and a poster of Van Gogh's Les Irises.

"I want to show you my favourite piece of art." Leonore said, wondering what she would think of it.

"Interesting, lead the way my Lushka." Virginia answered, curious about what captured her interest. "Can I try and guess?"

"If you wish, but I doubt you will know it." Leonore replied as it was an unusual piece.

"Mmm, lets see is it a painting?" Virginia asked, crossing things off the list.

"No." Leonore answered, finding this fun.

"Photograph?" Virginia asked, though she doubted Leonore would be that simple.

"Nope." Leonore answered, knowing she would never get it.

"Sculpture?" Virginia asked, hoping it was that.

"Yes." Leonore answered, suddenly feeling afraid of what she would think.

"Why are you afraid?" Virginia asked, feeling it radiating from her.

"I'm feeling a little self conscious about my choice." Leonore answered, being honest with her.

Virginia stopped Leonore and made her face her, cupping her cheek and brushing her thumb across her lips. Leonore closed her eyes and wished it was her lips, she felt the professor move closer to her and her breathing quickened. Then let go of her cheek, Leonore opened her eyes, sighing at the loss and looked at her again.