Saltu

I follow Amancia through the dirt lined streets, towards one of the large trees. It appears to be indistinguishable from every other tree in the forest. Or maybe the correct term is jungle. Vines thicker than my entire body, grow with ever reaching fingers, around the tree. Multi-colored flowers seem to spring up, haphazardly, throughout the vine. I can see small birds flit from flower to flower, drinking some sort of nectar and pollinizing each flower.

          "Amancia?" I call, looking around.

          "Yes?" she asks, not even bothering to stop or turn around.

           "Where are we? Where are all the Copaie? I thought you said we were on Saltu?"

          "They are all inside." She says, stopping in front of a large tree.

          "What do you mean inside? Where inside? I don't even see any buildings." I ask, stopping beside her.

         "Inside the trees." She says cryptically. She places her hand on the tree and I hear a faint beep, and then a door appears in the tree. It slides open and she disappears inside.

           I take one last look around and then follow her in. Wow! She wasn't kidding about it being inside! I knew the trees were huge, but I never imagined this. We are standing in a large room with a grey stone floor. I can see a large double staircase leading down and a smaller staircase leading up. Two tough looking Copaie stand guard at each staircase, and two more guard the door we just came through. Giant chandeliers, made from glass and some kind of shiny metal, hang from the ceiling. I look up, to check out the lights, and notice the beautifully painted ceiling. It appears to depict a market. Stalls line a street with a variety of products and everywhere are Copaie.

           "Come on. I'll show you to the palace." Amancia says, gently tugging on my arm.

           I allow her to pull me towards the downwards double staircase, where she let's go of me. The guards nod to us, and step aside as we approach. I follow her lead, down the steps. We reach the bottom of the stairs, and I see two more guards, standing outside of another door. We walk towards the door, and Amancia once again, places her hand on a scanner. Once it beeps, the door opens up to an elevator. She pushes a button and we descend further down. We must be really deep because my ears pop.

           The elevator jumps, I hear a ding, and then the doors slide open. It has to be a dream, but I know it isn't. I hear the sounds of dozens of people talking all at once. What I saw above was just a small portion of the city, just an entryway. I step out of the elevator and just stare. My jaw drops in amazement. The entire city lays underground, stretching for miles. I see the bustle of Copaie, rushing from destination to destination. Store fronts line a shiny marbled street, strange small animals roam around, flying creatures flit back and forth, children race back and forth chasing after a small blue ball.

          Grass! I can see lush yellow grass growing everywhere, small trees grow sporadically, and flowers of many colors as well. I look up and see some sort of artificial sun lighting the entire place. I have always heard that Copaie were not as intelligent nor as technologically advanced as the Talfarians. Whoever started that rumor was an idiot. Not only are the Copaie technologically advanced, but they are also artistic as well. You would have to be, to make an entire underground city seem as though you were on the surface.

            "You've never been here before, have you?" Amancia asks, turning and seeing the look of amazement on my face.

             I manage to close my mouth and look at her. "No, I haven't. I was raised on Talfar."