The Escape

Four hours wasted. We never did figure out what V could possibly want. Nor did we figure out who V might be. So, we just decided to wing it.

"I don't like that idea. That's how we always get into trouble." Amlican said.

"But we always find a way out, a solution. We work great together." I say.

"That's why I want, us, to get married." Amlican says.

"Amlican." I say, rolling my eyes. "I need you to focus on the current situation. Okay?"

"Okay. But I prefer if we don't end up in another dangerous situation, escaping by the skin of our teeth. And that's me being serious." Amlican says getting up and digging through each of the dressers.

"Can I help it if trouble seems to be attracted to me?" I ask.

"Even so." He says. "Here I want you to wear this." Amlican pulls a long, black, hooded, cloak out of the last dresser.

"Is there one for you as well?" I ask, taking it from him.

"No, but I don't need one. I'm not the one the guards are looking for."

"Good point." I say, putting it on and pulling the hood over my head. "How do I look?"

"Like a person in a black cloak." he says.

"Seriously?" I say, annoyed.

"Kidding. You look like you should be well hidden, in the dark. In the meantime, we have to hope that no one sees you." Amlican says.

Amlican follows me through the narrow, hidden, hallways; around corner after corner, until we reach the end.

"This door leads to the outer courtyard." I whisper, my hand on the doorknob. "Most of the guards are facing out, so as long as we stick to the wall, we should be good. Once we reach the far side of the wall, there is a hidden door we can take to reach the outside. We have to hope there aren't any Dolokki inside. It's the door they use to get from the wall down to ground level."

"Do I even want to know how you know all of this?" Amlican asks, quietly.

"Probably not."

"Let me go first. Just to make sure there aren't any guards."

"You don't know where you are going." I say.

"No, but you can use hand signals. And this way you can make it without getting caught. Or would you prefer to rot in the dungeon?"

"Alright." I sigh, letting go of the doorknob and stepping back.

"One. Two. Three." Amlican takes a couple of deep breaths, opens the door, and steps outside. For a moment, he disappears into the darkness before coming back. "All clear."

I follow behind him, easing the door shut, all too aware of the amazing perception of the Dolokki guards. They don't miss much of anything, even in the dark. This close to the castle, there is enough light to see a few feet in front of us.

As we creep along the wall, I realize that I'm already soaked in sweat from the night air. I wish the wind would blow. Anything to break this oppressive heat. Even though everyone is asleep for the night, it's by no means quiet. I can hear the chirping of the adacia bugs and the occasional screeches of the nocturnal Gult, out looking for small mammals to eat. We reach the end of the castle wall, Amlican looks up, dashes to the outer wall, and disappears into heavy darkness.

I can't see his hand signal! It's too dark! I wait a few minutes and then decide to go for it. I look up, see no signs of guards, and make a dash for the outer wall as well.

"What took so long?" Amlican whispers, as soon as I get to the wall.

I'm bent over, panting. As soon as I calm my breathing I answer, "I couldn't see your hand signal. It's too dark."

"I knew this was a bad idea." he whispers.

"It's too late now." I say, pushing him forward. "Let's go."

We continue to creep along the outer wall, the door to freedom is just in front of us, when Amlican stops. Above us I can hear quiet talking.

"Dolokki!" Amlican whispers.

"I can take him." I whisper, stepping towards the door.

"No. Wait. Listen." Amlican grabs my shoulders and pulls me back. "There's more than one. Sounds like three or four. Even you can't take on that many."

He's right. What are we going to do?

Suddenly beams of light are lighting up the ground, in front of me.

"Who's there?" Calls a gruff voice, from above us. "Show yourself!"

I pull the black hood, tighter around my face, and flatten myself against the wall. I do my best to try and blend in the shadows.

Amlican steps forward, into the light. "It's just me, Amlican."

What is he doing?

"Does he have permission to be out here?" the voice asks someone above us.

"I don't have any orders about him." a second voice calls.

"What are you doing out here?" the first voice calls down.

"I couldn't sleep. I thought I would go for a walk."

"Where to?" the second voice asks.

"Into the woods. Maybe down by the pond. I really don't have a destination in mind."

"Don't you know how dangerous it is out there, alone?" a third voice asks.

"I'm not afraid." Amlican answers.

"If you want to get yourself eaten, who am I to judge." the first voice says.

"You may proceed." the second voice says.

"Just don't expect us to rescue you." the third voice says.

They go back to quietly talking amongst themselves, and Amlican rejoins me.

"Are you crazy?" I quietly ask, punching his left arm. "You could have gotten in trouble."

"But I didn't." he says, rubbing his arm. "Now you know how I feel every time you come up with some crazy plan."

With that he opens the door, a small rectangle of light cuts through the darkness, he looks both ways, and then sticks his hand out to wave me in.

I don't even stop to look around, as I zoom in one door and out the second. Thankfully, it's just a small area to cross, maybe six feet wide. Ahead I can see the woods, the place I will be safe.

We race towards the woods, and don't stop until we are sure we can't be seen. I look up and can see the clouds have passed and Lila Luna is shining bright. Or rather, reflecting bright, since Lila Luna is our moon. Ahead, I can hear, the small waterfall that empties into the pond. I stop behind a tree and wait, as per our agreement. Amlican and I decided, back in the room, that he would go first. This way, he can see who is waiting, just in case it is a trap. I stick my head out from behind the tree and can see a shadowy figure standing in front of the pond.

"Hello." he says, stepping into the moonlight.

"Hello, Amlican." the shadowy figure says.

Female! The shadow is female. That will make it a lot easier if I have to defend us. 

"Who are you?" he asks.

"No one that you know. And no one that will hurt you."

"How do I know that?" he demands.

"My name is Vos. V for short. But before I answer any more questions, why don't you join us, Astra?" the shadow says.