A Life For A Life

I am about to press enter on the coordinates when I remember something Vos told me. 'To save a life, a life must be given in return. It's a life for a life.' Amlican sacrificed himself for my mother, that's one life. Amancia died and Henric was saved, that's two lives. But Malum was killed as well. Maybe, just maybe, it will work.  I hurriedly delete the old coordinates, date, and time, and type in all new information and press enter. "Please let this work!" I quietly plea as darkness surrounds me, once again.

      I find myself back in Natatilis, again. I race out from behind the store and push my way through the crowd. Please let it work! Please! I round another corner and this time I spot Amlican, in the crowd and there's Malum, still far enough away. I search the crowd and find myself watching the scene unfold. Now, how do I do this without letting my past self, see, this version of me? I spot a black hooded cloak in one of the store fronts, I quickly grab it, give Amancia's bank information to the store, pull it on, and fly over to Amlican. I reach him just before Malum does.

       "Who are you?" Malum asks.

      "Astra, is that you?" Amlican asks, as soon as he sees me.

         I don't bother answering him, instead I punch in coordinates, a date, and a time, into my jacket, grab Amlican's wrist, and we vanish into darkness. I open my eyes to the sound of banging on a door. "What in the world?" I ask, looking around, momentarily confused.

           "Astra? Are you awake? We were supposed to walk to Professor Kalmin's class, together." Amlican calls through the door.

            "Amlican? Come in." I call.

         He walks in, looking the same as always, messy hair, a pile of books in his hands. "You're still in bed?" He asks, sitting on the foot of my bed. "Is everything okay?"

           "That depends on whether this is a dream or reality." I say.

         He bends over and sets his books on the floor before turning back to me. He takes my face in between his hands and pulls me in for a long passionate kiss. "I know last weekend was great, but you definitely didn't dream it; and you aren't dreaming now, either."

           Last weekend? Is he talking about the night we slept together?  "Sorry, I had the weirdest dream last night. I dreamt Malum killed my mother, and that we had to travel back in time to save her." I say, testing to see if he remembers anything.

           "Malum? What's a Malum?" he asks confused.

              He doesn't know who Malum is?  My heart starts hammering in my chest. Can it be? Am I getting both my mother and Amlican?  "Quick question, who is my mother married to?"

           "To the king of Talfar, Henric, of course. That must have been some dream if you can't even remember the name of your adoptive father." Amlican chuckles.

             It worked. I managed to not only change history but to keep the love of my life,  Amlican.   "Amlican, have I ever told you, how much I love you?" I ask, pulling him in for another kiss.

                "Not lately." he says mischievously.