Natatilis

With a ding, the elevator doors open, and we step out into a city so busy, that the Talfarian capital, Nix, seems like a small village. A hundred different scents flood my nose. Some of them smell good, like the faint smell of sausage. Some of the smells stink; like an animal that has been rolling in something that died, last week. Everywhere I see movement. A variety of different alien species going about their daily lives, unaware that this all happened, already. Some of the alien species I recognize, like the Nelkans, the Salvarians, and the Salmazin. There are plenty of species I don't recognize, and some I've seen, but never learned their names. I see a variety of stalls set up, all around, selling so many different things. The shop keepers shout out to passersby trying to entice them into buying, their wares. A crying child can be heard, and the sound of a mother trying to calm that child. All of these different noises all combine together to make a deafening roar.

           I cover my ears and look over at Amancia. "How can you stand all of this noise?!" I shout.

            "No need to shout, I can hear you just fine." Amancia says. "You'll get used to the noise. It will take some time, but eventually you will learn to tune it all out except what you want to hear. I couldn't stand all of the noise when I first moved here, either. But after a time, it wasn't so bad, and I now, I enjoy it, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Just close your eyes, and imagine a quiet place, then one by one imagine each of the extra noises being turned off."

             I strain to hear her explanation. I close my eyes and imagine I'm back home, in my room, alone. I shut out all the noise around me and take a few deep breaths. I can do this. Pretend all of this noise isn't happening. And for a moment it works, all of the noise disappears, and I am left in peace, hearing nothing but the sound of my own breathing. Then someone bumps into me, and the illusion shatters. The noise rushes back in and I open my eyes. Ugh! Apparently, this is going to take some time and practice.

           "Sorry!" a young Copaie yells as he giggles and runs off with his friends.

           A young Copaie giggling and playing with his friends. That is so amazing. He isn't trying to prove anything. He is just able to be himself. And he is playing with other races, not just Copaie. Such a beautiful thing to see. Of course, there isn't a Talfarian in that little group, but it's still a step up from everything I have been through.

           "Astra?" Amlican asks, putting a hand on my shoulder.

          "Yeah?" I ask, watching the group of kids, disappear into the crowd.

           "What are you thinking?" he asks, placing his other hand on my chin and gently turning my face towards him.

           I search his eyes. What am I thinking? So many things, most of which you will never understand. How difficult it is to be raised on a planet where my race is so hated. How difficult it is to be that race, no matter where I am at. Wishing we could one day have children of our own and that they could be as happy as those children. How much I love you and don't want to lose you, again. How sorry I am that I got you killed in a different timeline. "I am thinking about how hungry I am and I'm wondering where the food is." I say, forcing a laugh.

          He stares at me in silence. Does he know that I am lying? I stare back at him, willing him to believe what I said.

          "Come on, guys." Amancia says, walking between us and breaking the tension. "Some of the best food you have ever eaten is served at this small restaurant, over here. It's run by this little old Jemson woman. She may be small in height, but her food is big on flavor."

          I stare at him a moment longer, before breaking eye contact and following behind her. We walk past a booth selling all kinds of creatures. A loud screaming noise fills my ears and I turn to see a black, long-bodied creature with six legs, and four red eyes, with its mouth wide open: it's a Slaphner. A creature originally found on one of the moons of Saltu. In a cage on the floor, I see a large silvery looking four-legged creature. It's covered in silvery spots that are darker than the rest of its fur. That's a Loftin! Is that Princess?

        I remember mom talking about rescuing her from an animal dealer. That's got to be her! I take a step her direction, with the intent on freeing her, when I remember mom saying, "Rescuing Princess seemed to bond us together. I helped her and she helped me, that day." Instead, I just bend down at look her in the eyes. She watches me, wearily but doesn't move. "My mother will be here, soon, to rescue you. I want you to take good care of her, okay?" I whisper. Princess only yawns at me, in return.

          "Come on. Up you get." Amlican says, grabbing ahold of my elbow. "I'm starving and you are delaying the inevitable. You know how cranky I get when I'm hungry."

          "You aren't cranky when you are hungry." I say laughing as he pulls me to my feet.

            "You're right. So, who is the cranky one when they are hungry? Oh, yeah, it's you." he says laughing as well.

           We follow Amancia into the restaurant, in front of us. It's a beautiful place, big floral arrangements, in a variety of sizes and colors, decorate the walls and the tops of each booth. The large room is filled with booths and tables some of them are empty and some filled with different species enjoying their meals. Along the back wall, is a line of counters, and grills maned by different aliens. On this side of the counters, is a long line of species holding plates. You seem to have to stand in line for the food, tell them what you want, and the workers put it on the plate for you.

           We stop at the front and Amancia pays for our food. We then follow her through the line. Amancia is first, then me, and Amlican is last. I am amazed at all the different kinds of food available. First, I see fruits and vegetables that I recognize and many that I don't. I pick out a few that I have never tried and some that I have. Next, we arrive at the meat. I have never seen such a wide variety in all of my life. The wonderful smell of meat, on the grill floods my nose and my mouth starts to water. I order many different meats; I can't wait to try them.

           I pick one bread from the next station, as I'm not a big bread eater. Same for the desserts, just one. We come to beverage section, and I see a wide variety of drinks. The drinks seem to come in a rainbow of colors, none of which look familiar to me. I reach for a large glass filled with a bubbly orange liquid, at the same time as Amlican. We laugh and I reach for a different glass of the orange liquid. We follow Amancia as she weaves in and out of the crowd, heading for a booth along the far-right wall. Amancia takes a seat, on one side. I slide into the booth opposite of her and Amlican sits down, beside me. We eat our meal in silence. The meat was just as good as I thought it would be. I wolf it down, first.

           After we are done eating, Amancia speaks up. "I know an apartment that is empty. It's just down the hall from mine. There's only one available. It is a two bedroom, though. Is that okay? Do you mind sharing? I can take you there, now, if you want."

          "Yeah, that sounds good." I say, yawning. "It's been a long day and I'm tired."

          "Same." Amlican says, also yawning.

          "I'll bring you guys some new clothes, in the morning. I'm sure you are tired of wearing those." Amancia says, getting up from the table.

           Amlican stands up and I slide out of the booth. But when I stand to my feet, I can feel something is wrong. I feel slightly dizzy, and I have to steady myself by placing a hand on the table. Amancia is walking away, steadily chatting, so I just try to focus on her as I walk. Amlican walks beside me, and he doesn't look to steady on his feet either.

          "What's going on?" I whisper to Amlican, as I stumble along.

          "I'm pretty sure that orange liquid was fermented." he says, stumbling on the word fermented.

           "You mean it was...you mean...alcohol?" I ask, holding onto Amlican's arm. Maybe between the two of us we can keep our balance.

           "Yeah. Pretty sure it was not. I mean...yes...alcohol."

          The next thing I remember, we are in an apartment, closing the door on Amancia. I drop the key on the floor and head down the hall. Nothing about the apartment makes any sort of impression on me. I open a few doors until I find a room with a bed. Boy, it sure is hot in here! The last thing I remember is collapsing in the bed, face first, before blacking out.