4 inches would be perfect

Robin hasn't heard from Isabelle since Friday night.

She found herself itching to show up at her house by Saturday evening when Isabelle didn't show up. They made plans that day to just bake and watch some movies but she didn't get any notification from Isabelle that she couldn't come. Her messages were only ever delivered.

The lack of reply from the other girl was worrying as Robin knew that that wasn't normal behavior from Isabelle. If it was her disappearing for a day, nobody would bat an eye as all her friends knew of her terrible texting habits.

It did cross her mind that perhaps Isabelle was just busy or she lost her phone and she was just overreacting. To ease her mind, however, she called Celine to ask if Isabelle was home. Thankfully, the woman confirmed that Isabelle was indeed at home.

Once the worry washed out, the sulking came in. Couldn't Isabelle send her a message that she was okay? It would take less than a minute to do so. Couldn't she have read the worry from the several messages she sent? At the very least send a dot!

Robin laid down on her bed upset. Maybe this was Isabelle trying to let her feel how she does whenever she didn't reply for hours to days. But then again Isabelle wasn't petty like that.

With a sigh, the brunette charged her phone and got ready to sleep. She decided that she'd just try and call her again tomorrow.

The first reply from Isabelle came in at 11:46 pm that Saturday but Robin was already asleep by then so she was only able to see it by Sunday morning. Isabelle basically reassured her that she was fine and then asked permission if she could come by after church.

It was already after lunch when the taller girl arrived at Robin's house. Robin could feel the nervousness radiating from Isabelle's body as soon as she stepped inside the house. She didn't bother offering something to drink, opting to lead the girl to her bedroom immediately.

The two girls sat on each corner of the bed, Isabelle occasionally glancing at Robin but the latter never met her gaze despite feeling it on her. The uneasy silence between them made the taller girl fidget with the cuffs of her sweater until Robin spoke.

"What happened?"

Isabelle readily prepared an excuse before she was driven to Robin's house but it flew right out the window the second the brunette returned her stare. "The...Umm... My phone. It fell in the pool. I had to umm... put it in the rice for a while."

It was no surprise that Robin did not believe her poor attempt of an excuse. It was hardly believable what with her pauses and difficulty maintaining eye contact.

When the brunette did not bother to humor her, simply turning her head to stare at nothing in particular, Isabelle sighed. The gnawing guilt was excruciating. "Okay, fine. I lied. I just don't want you to worry."

"If you don't want to tell me, it's fine."

"You're upset. I made you upset."

The shorter girl remained silent, the frown never leaving her face.

"Robin, I'm sorry." Isabelle's voice came out as a whisper, that of which would most likely be drowned out by any sound if there was any.

With a sigh, Robin broke the stillness. "I'm not trying to make you feel shitty, Isabelle. I just wanted to know that you're okay. If you don't want to tell me the reason why you couldn't text me that you weren't coming, I'm not gonna force you."

Seeing Isabelle still looking down the floor, still fidgeting, Robin sighed once more. The miserable look on Isabelle's face tugged at her heart. "It's okay, babe. Just come here." She opened her arms, letting the taller girl settle between them. Robin ran her fingers through the brunette hair, feeling Isabelle's hold around her waist tighten. "As long as you're alright, it's fine."