029. rewite the stars

KAI HAVERTZ aachen, germany.

  "WHAT DO YOU think she's doing right now?" I held Rowan's hand as we stared at the grave stone of Cassie Santos, the girl who died when me and Rowan were only 14

"WHAT DO YOU think she's doing right now?" I held Rowan's hand as we stared at the grave stone of Cassie Santos, the girl who died when me and Rowan were only 14. Ivan never got to meet his oldest sister.

"She's probably looking down at us right now with joy in her eyes. She did love us." Rowan laughs. She placed the bouquet of sunflowers we got from the field and placed them down on her grave, "God she was only 16 when she left. Still shocks me how young she was."

Ivan didn't say a word, all he did was stare at the stone and hold my hand. Ivan was now 8 and still wanted to know more about the sister he had never met. "You okay?" I whisper to him. He snapped out of his thoughts and nodded at me. 

I took my phone out and scrolled through the old pictures I had with Cassie. "You sister looked like her you know? Plus they were both equally as annoying." I joke around which makes Ro slap my arm.

"I'm not annoying." She defends herself.

Me and Ivan gave her one look before bursting out laughing. "Ivan don't even start laughing, you still can't ask out the girl you've liked for years." Ivan took full offence to that. He placed his hand to his heart and scoffed.

"So what?"

"Nothing, just shut up." Rowan teasingly nudged him to the side. Ivan rolled his eyes before paying attention to a butterfly that flew past him. He watched it land on his sisters grave.

He let go of my hand and took a close look at it then smiled. "Hi Cassie. I'm Ivan, your brother but you probably knew that already." He stares at the butterfly. Me and Ro decided to give him space so we left him for a while, but we didn't go that far.

With her arms folded, Rowan rested her head on my shoulder with her arms crossed. I did not hesitate once to wrap my arms around her shoulders and pull her into a hug. "You know, you're the best girlfriend ever?"

"You mean the only girlfriend you've ever had?" Ouch "That's what I thought. I don't think I could say the same about you, hmm Hunter and Jack were better kissers." I frowned. "Im joking." She laughs before kissing my cheek.

"Rowan!" Ivan ran towards the both of us, "I just spoke to Cassie and I think I'm her favourite. She's a real good listener, better than you to say the least." He laughs.

•••

"So this is where you and Kai spent most of your childhood then." Amara laughs as we set out the picnic blanket on the grass. It was a warm summers day meaning the sunflowers were back up.