16

The quite chattering from downstairs awoke Veryan. The boy fluttered his eyes open, and looked around. He was till laid on the bed, still in Beorn's house. He hefted himself to sit up, looking tword's the window, seeing Beorn's horses prancing around, a pile of wood lying next to a log they were cut on. The Heterochromia male stretched as he got up, grabbing his violin and strapping it to himself once again. He walked out of the little room and slid down the ladder, coming face to face with the scene in front of him. 

The 13 Dwarves, Hobbit and Wizard sat at Beorn's table, being served food and milk from the beast himself.

Beorn glanced at the movement, and brightly smiled "It's good to see you awake, my friend"

Everyone turned to him, and quickly everyone threw him a good morning as he took his place in between Kili and Fili "I could say the same Beorn"

Kili lightly pushed him, making the Heterochromia male look down at him "It took quite a bit to convince him to let us stay, but one mention of your name and he was compliant"

Gandalf nodded at those words "Indeed. Beorn over here is an old friend of Veryan's"

Veryan boomed as Beorn placed a plate of egg's and bacon right in front of him, filling his cup with warm milk. 

Every chatter quickly quieted down as Beorn spoke "So you are the one they call Oakenshield" he directed his words at Thorin.

"Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?" he asked, staring at the Dwarf.

Thorin slightly pulled himself off of the wall he was leaning on "You know of Azog?"

Veryan froze up, fork mid way moving twords the eggs. He knew all about Beorn's past, it wasn't a thing the other liked to talk about.

"My people were the first to live in the mountains before the Orcs came down from the North. The Defiler killed most of my family. But some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changer's and torturing them seemed to amuse him. 

"There are others like you?" Gloin asked from the croud.

Veryan could only look at Beorn remorsefully as he spoke with a pained tone "Once there were many, now there is only one" 

As Beorn walked past him Veryan grabbed onto his arm and squeezed it, giving a warm smile the mans way. Beorn smiled back and patted the other's hand before he let go, going to refile a mug. "You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn"

Gandalf nodded as Beorn sat down next to him "Before Durin's Day falls"

Veryan cut out their speaking as he felt movement next to him. He turned to look, only for Fili to huff in annoyance "Could you stay still? I want to redo your braid"

At these words, the boy chuckled and sat up straight, letting Fili do his work. He always had his white strand of hair braided into his natural hair, making it look like he braided-in someone else's hair. Some even told him congratulation's when they saw it, thinking he had a partner. But Veryan always politely corrected them. If the time ever did come however, he would gladly braid his partners hair into his own, showing affection without even having to speak it. 

Fili patted his shoulder, showing him he was done. Veryan lightly touched the braided section, and smiled. It felt quit sturdy and neatly done. He smiled at Fili and nodded, before tuning in back to the conversation at hand.

"We will take the Elven Road. The path is still safe" Gandalf reassured the other, knowing that Beorn didn't like the thought of anyone travelling through the Mirkwood forest.