Chapter 22

There was a new high scale food place in town that opened close to where St Clement's and Rupert Academy were. A lot of the students had formed a habit of going over to grab a quick snack after school and also to hang out and take pictures. Jesy and the others had not been part of the ones who picked up on the trend until today. Jesy had felt like letting loose after a particularly exhausting day today so she invited Ray Ray, Princeton and Jungkook to come here with her for something to eat . . . and to pretend to study since she had promised her mother she would try to at least pass her upcoming exams. Her mom had also told her that she couldn't afford to follow the laid back students in her school since their family wasn't as rich as the other kids'. Most of the school didn't care because they probably wouldn't have to work a day in their life due to trust funds put in place by their grandparents but Jesy whose family was only considered 'quite wealthy' because of her dad's life insurance and Andrew's high paid lawyer job didn't have those things in place. So what Jesy had been saying to Leigh about not caring so much for exams because she was rich actually could not apply like she thought. Her mother had let her know this a bit after Jesy had spoken to Leigh on that walk. So that paired with the fact that her mom really wanted her to try were the reasons why she was studying now . . . no matter how embarrassing and frustrating it was to her. She wasn't as well off as the people around her. That was annoying. Even Leigh now had trust funds. 

"Mm. Gotta say, this place is worth the hype. The interior design is great, loving the neon vibe. Loving the glowing drinks and the food can get it." Princeton was dusting his hands off after swallowing some of his sandwich.

"The pizza is better than most places too." Jungkook wiped his mouth with a napkin. "Thank you for suggesting we come here Jesy. I thought that you were keeping your distance from us but here you are inviting us places and conveniently excluding the other girls in our group."

Jesy rolled her eyes as she struggled to understand the words on the page of her textbook. This shit is boring. But she was just a regular person who didn't have opportunities being handed to her everywhere she turned so she had to try to do somewhat okay in school so she could make something of herself. I won't mind working as a cashier you know. But that was the broke unglamourous life. Being a boring secretary or a boring lawyer is unglam too. So what did she want? I wanna be like . . . Leigh-Anne.

Jesy frowned intensely. Her guy friends were talking about some past paper question that one of their teachers had them do in class today. Like they need it. They weren't out here getting the world handed to them like some people but they had gotten a few cool opportunities out of going to that boot launching event last Friday. Princeton and Jungkook had modeling gigs coming up just for being there and being hot. They had said so through their group chat over the weekend. At least Ray Ray openly said he was jealous after congratulating them. But she could see that he wasn't bitter. No. He wasn't bitter at all. He would never know true bitterness.

Jesy was staring at the long haired boy and how he smiled nonchalantly at the conversation he and his friends were having. To be bitter is an ugly feeling. And what determined whether someone was ugly or not was what was inside them . . . according to what many had been saying. That's bullshit.

She thought of Leigh-Anne and the great news everyone had received about her late last night. Not only did she randomly get asked to audition for a popular TV show but she also got the bloody part right away even though she's never acted a day in her life! Jesy had been reading over some notes when her mother had delivered the news in the hallway. Marcy had been so excited that she had called everyone she knew to tell them about Leigh's great success. Perrie had not posted details as to whether Leigh got the part or not but she had uploaded a cryptic video of her and Leigh bobbing their heads to 'Started From The Bottom' in Marcy's car.