Madison - CHAPTER 28

Cameron puts Madison down on the couch slowly, her crying made her tired and she fell asleep. He thanks Macie for coming over.

"You sure you can play?" Macie asks her best friend. His cheeks were red and his eyes were puffy.

"Coach wouldn't understand, I have no choice."

"Okay, well, be careful out there, okay? The rest of the team can work hard tonight and there's no need to win them all." Macie reminds him with a hug. "Everything will sort itself out."

"God, I hope so." He whispers. "As always, there's food in the fridge and the pantry so help yourself. That closet right there has Madison's favorite everything so please tell her to eat even if it's unhealthy. I'll head back as soon as I can. Thanks again, Mace. I really appreciate it."

Macie smiles, although right now it seems like theyre both feeling the same emotions. "I'll keep her safe. Tell the boys we will be cheering for the three of you."

Cameron heads to the game and he can't barely even concentrate on the road, though he makes it there safe and sound.

He changes quietly and the lockerroom is tense. Everyone saw the article. Everyone but Cameron, Aaron and Colton believe the lies. And it doesn't look good on Cameron. Which was part of Haven's plan. And whoever took those pictures.

"Alright team!" He says trying to be cheerful. "Tough opponents tonight as we all know. They are up in the rankings just like we are. We need to stay calm and concentrated-"

"Sure you can do that, Captain?" One of the players says as a joke and Aaron snaps him a lot that makes him stop laughing.

"-They know our strategies but we also know theirs so we need to over come them and take this win, alright boys?" Everyone cheers and for a minute it feels normal to Cameron. "All yours, coach."

The coach explains the logistics of the night and Cameron is back in his head. He's wondering if Madison is still asleep, if she's awake. If she's able to laugh or if she's crying again. He wishes he had his phone. He knows Macie is texting him updates.

"Moore, Can I talk to you for a second?" Coach asks him. Cameron nods as everyone walks out to the ice.

"I saw the article that was put out earlier... Listen kid, I don't know the whole story and I don't want to know the whole story. Just glad you came out to play in the first place."

Cameron nods. "Thanks, coach."

"With that said, I'm giving you less ice time tonight."

This is the last thing Cameron needed to hear. People notice when a player has less ice time. It will be everywhere and everyone will know it had to do with what happened earlier.

"Alright, coach." Cameron responds. There's no point in arguing.

"Now get out there and play like you always do alright?"

Cameron gives him one last nod and heads out. He sits next to Aaron. And the game starts.

"Cameron wanted me to make sure you ate, Madison." Macie says and Madison shakes her head.

"Well tell him I'm not hungry."

"Hun, that's a little hard to do right now." Macie sets down the bowl of pasta that only 15 minutes ago Madison asked for. "I need you to talk to me, Madison."

"There's nothing to talk about. What's done is done."

"No, it's not." Macie sighs. "Maybe Cameron didn't give you the warning but dating him means being in the spotlight with him. Shit like this happens all the time, okay? You need to learn how to handle it."

"She just had to take him down, too? I asked her to leave him alone." Haven. She was talking about Haven. "She doesn't care. I don't think she ever did." Madison adds.

"I know, hun." Macie doesn't know what to say. "Do you want to watch the game?"

Madison finally peeks her head up from the pillow. "But what if they talk about it?"

"We'll mute it."

Madison shurgs. "I guess we can, then."

Macie puts on the TV and mutes it. Madison runs to get the sweatshirt Cameron gave her before the trip to Canada. She puts it on and goes back downstairs. "Why is he not starting?" Madison asks, noticing he's on the bench.

"I... Don't know." Macie responds equally confused.

They wait for Cameron to get on the ice and he doesn't until the last line comes on. They both know what that means. He isn't getting his usual ice time.

"She ruined his career!" Macie yells.

Madison doesn't say anything. She just watches him play. Something about her watching him play felt like they were in their own little bubble. One they wish they could stay in forever.

But Cameron wasn't inside of that bubble. He has guys on the other team chirping him more than usual. He kept his cool but he really wanted to burn the whole arena down during the game.

When he got home, Macie left and he joined Madison back on the couch. He brings her into his chest and he's inside the bubble.

"I'm sorry you guys lost." She whispers. "You looked good though."

That makes him laugh. "You think so?"

"Yeah. I don't know much about hockey anyway so I got to compliment you somehow."

He kisses her head. "You're too good to be true, Madison."

She lifts her head so they make direct eye contact. "Some goes to you."

Cameron gives her one last deep stare and then kisses her slowly and sensually. A kiss that keeps them in their bubble all night long. And that's what they do, they continue to kiss until the next thing they do is fall alseep on the couch.

So many things were said without words. How they had each other's backs. How they were absolutely terrified of the future. How they really wanted to tear each other's clothes off. And how maybe one day, all of this would be over.

Hm, hopefully.