Chapter 139: Hollow Progress

Start from the beginning

I don't want to spy on her any longer, I just wanted to confirm my suspicions. The rest of this investigation I'll do by talking to her and having her tell me what she's comfortable telling me: hopefully that means everything.

I then stand up from my sneaking crouched position I was in, I was in the process of picking up my hand to wave hello but then—

Philia: "AHHHH!" *punch!*

Philia punched me right in the face, with enough force to send me a good couple meters backwards where I fell on my back onto the cold computer-esque flooring. Fortunately, because this was a Safe Area, I didn't take any damage or get any status conditions afflicted on me so I just get back up and wave at her from a safe distance whilst using my other hand to massage the punched area.

Y/N: "Owow! Boy, you sure pack a mean right hand, don't you Philia!"

Philia: "U/N?! wh—Why would you do that?! You can't just sneak up on me like that!"

Y/N: "Well... I mean... I kinda did though?"

Philia: "I didn't mean it like that! I meant that you shouldn't! You almost gave me a damn heart attack!"

Y/N: "Oh haha! Sorry, sorry! Its just you didn't say anything when I teleported in and then I saw you looked pretty deep in-thought over there... is everything okay?"

Philia: "I didn't notice you teleport in...? y–Yeah, everything's fine and—"

Y/N: "—Don't lie to me."

*pomf*

As Philia was saying how she didn't notice my teleporting into the room, I was making my way towards her. And then when she lied and told me that everything was fine and nothing was wrong, that's when I came in close and wrapped her up in a hug.

It seemed that I caught her completely off guard with this, as she tensed up at first as my arms wrapped around her, but a couple moments later and the surprise had ebbed away and she melted into me. Her head was now resting on my shoulder and her nose brushed up against my neck, her arms stayed down by her side though... this is to be a one-sided hug then I suppose?

Still in my embrace, Philia spoke softly into my ear, so softly that it was practically a whisper.

Philia: "You... You really like making things difficult for me, don't you!"

Y/N: "Hmm? What do you mean by that...?"

Philia: "... Nothing. j–Just... How am I meant to be fine with letting you return to that other world when you're so nice to be with in here is all..."

Y/N: "Don't worry Philia, I'm sure we'll figure out how to get you back to Aincrad sooner than not, we've only got a few more zones to explore after all!"

Philia: "That's... that's not what I meant..."

Y/N: "Huh? Then what was it you meant? I don't understand...?"

Philia: "... uhmm... c–could I ask you for something? Could I be a little bit selfish for a while?"

Y/N: "Well, I guess that'll depend on what you're asking for I suppose!"

Philia then grew even quieter with what she said next, as if she was terrified that someone else would hear what she was saying. And yet, because of how quietly and softly she whispered this request into my ears... I couldn't help but heat up and blush from the intimacy of her interactions here. Thankfully with her head buried into my neck she wouldn't be able to see it!