Why apples?

It's 5:28 AM.

Luka had just finished training in the gym on campus for the day, he had gotten up at 4 AM sharp and did his daily morning workout before practicing on the field, it was normal for him to be here since he was the captain of the football team and he still felt like he had a lot to prove to people.

Given Luka was an exceptional player and the best this college had ever gotten on the football team, there was always a small voice in his head telling him he could be better, not only for himself but for those who look at him with scrutiny.

He was an outsider in this college, arriving late in the first year due to his parents divorcing he had no choice but to move countries and colleges, leaving all of his friends and ambitions behind to start again from the bottom.

Everywhere Luka went it was the same, yes he missed his friends but it took no effort to make more friends anywhere he went, people went to him and wanted to be around him, was it the money his parents had or was it his looks that attracted people to him?

He didn't care, why should he? He wasn't interested in social titles in college, he was often misunderstood because he said so little around his friends, especially since moving colleges.

When he was by himself Luka was quiet and liked to be alone yet to his friends he was something entirely different, and he had no idea where they got their view of him from, he never tried to be anything other than what he knew he was.

Luka was, in his words... lonely.

He would never mention this to his snob mother who was busy spending his judgemental father's money, or to his friends who always had an opinion on people with any sort of problems, he knew what kind of people his family and friends were, that they lived far from reality.

A month into the new college and Luka was getting used to being the new 'popular guy on campus' and he was used to being asked out by girls and invited to exclusive parties of his new popular friends on campus.

The day went on as normal, he woke up, went to the gym, trained with the team then he went to all of his lessons, everything was normal until he opened his locker in the hall to grab his bag so he could head home.

At first, he thought it was some joke one of his friends had made, who else would do something so bizarre like leaving an apple in his locker?

This wasn't the first time someone had left something in his locker, love notes, chocolates, one time there was a stuffed teddy bear with a voice recording of a girl asking him out on a date, but never just an apple.

It was odd, but he thought nothing of it.

Until the next day, at the same time, Luka had opened his locker and there was another apple.

Luka couldn't quite grasp what was happening, he felt stupid thinking about bringing it up with his friends, he could hear their laughter in his head as he told them someone was leaving him fruit, so he didn't say anything.

It's been a year since then at the new college and the apples were still being put inside of his locker, he had even tried to catch the person in action but he could never see anyone put anything in his locker, he had rearranged his days and changed things around just to see who was leaving them, for a while it drove him insane and threw the apples away when he couldn't find out who was doing it, then he just accepted that whoever was leaving them, wanted to give them to him.

Luka would think about this person, whoever they were, and wonder why an apple, it was such a strange thing to leave someone you don't know, he had heard of teachers getting them from students but never a student getting one at random, for almost a year without making themselves known.