匚卄卂卩ㄒ乇尺 8(General Admission)

Chapter 8: General Admission

Aiden Palton

Estimated, April 2024

About 23 months after outbreak

California, The Circus

Season 3

-----------------

We've only been here a little over a day, and Marcus has already gone outside of the walls twice. I thought I was just being overprotective, and I really wished there was nothing more going on. I can't help but wonder if there is something important or dangerous happening outside that he hasn't told me about.

Thomas looks at Marcus with a weird look in his eyes, like he knows him or knows something about him. I would have asked Thomas, but I didn't want to make a bad impression on us so early on.

Thomas had called us in for a meeting that afternoon. He didn't tell us what about, but he assured us we hadn't made any mistakes.

Khai's been taking her condition very negatively. She's had multiple meetings with the doctors who live here. I think Thomas might be trying to find a solution, but I don't think she'll ever get better. I can see the concern and determination in Thomas' eyes as he tries to help Khai. It's clear that he genuinely cares about her. However, it's disheartening to think that her condition may be something she has to live with for the rest of her life.

During the meeting, Thomas gave us assignments. He told us how, with more people, we could make this place a true home. He gave us interesting outfits. They were quite theatrical, but over time they acquired an apocalyptic touch. Some of us wore them, but they were a bit much. He told Ethan to stay behind afterwards. I didn't eavesdrop; I was too tired from all the walking we've done for the past few months and was looking forward to getting reacquainted with my new bed.

Sleeping wasn't easy when we were out there. Sure, we were all very tired, but no matter how hard we tried, I think none of us got more than a few hours. The constant uncertainty and danger kept us on edge, making it difficult to relax and fall into a deep sleep. The adrenaline from the day's events would still be coursing through our veins, making it nearly impossible to quiet our minds and find rest. It was hard to get used to not having to deal with that stuff anymore. We got too comfortable in Loveland, and I think we're all silently vowing not to make that mistake again.

Thomas had assigned me to gate patrol. He said I had a "welcoming face," but I think he only did it because he didn't know where else to put me. He didn't assign a job to Rudi but instead told him that his very own wife, Piper Reinhardt, would be helping him take care of Airi and Juna. I know it kind of upset Rudi that he wasn't given something to do to take care of this place. He feared becoming a burden and didn't want to feel weak. I told him he could help me on gate patrol if he ever got bored.

I want to say I like it here, but I don't know if that's just because I need it. It has everything we could possibly need; it's exactly what we had been searching for. I just can't get what happened in Loveland out of my head.

-----------------

Ethan Warren

----------------

"So let me get this straight: you and your people walked from Minnesota all the way to California for a boat?" Thomas asked me as we walked the halls of yet another building. I didn't know what this place used to be, but they had turned it into a storage facility. The walls were lined with rows and rows of shelves, stacked high with crates and boxes.

"Yeah, and for a while we believed it was all for nothing."

"Well, it wasn't, Ethan; you found something after all," he smiled, and I couldn't help but grin back. "The job I have decided for you is very important. I do hope that while you are a guest here, you at least know I will not take you or your people for granted. You will stand beside me in making all of the important decisions, if you wish." I was confused at first. I knew an alliance would probably be good for us, but we've only known this man for a few short hours. It wouldn't be smart yet.

"I'll have to think about it." He nodded in reassurance. I knew I was doing right by being skeptical; after what we've been through, I probably should have been more on edge than I was. I understood that in order to keep this place from being yet another graveyard, there were things we had to do, and we all had to do our part. In Loveland, we didn't really have jobs. It felt like a vacation, and that made it dangerous.

People had families here. They had people they needed to protect. They didn't just let their kids run around while they cried and got high. They formed tight-knit groups, looking out for one another and establishing rules to maintain order. It was a stark contrast to the chaos and lawlessness we had experienced before. Everyone understood the importance of their role in creating a safe haven, and they were committed to making it work.

"You all can move into separate houses if you want. There's plenty. You could all probably have two if you really wanted," Thomas offered.

"I think we'll all stay in the same house for a few nights at least." I knew he understood why, and he respected our wishes.

"Did you have a bad experience in the past?"

"You could say that, I guess."

"At first, I hated this place because of what happened to my older brother, Anthony, here. But I learned that it was what I needed, so I learned to love it. I hope you will be able to as well."

----------------------

Rudolph Alinsky

----------------------

"Why the long face, Rudi?" Piper asked me as she rocked Juna in her arms.

"I just wish I could do something else. Airi and I both know how to handle ourselves out there; we could be doing supply runs."

"We both know it's for the best. I mean, look at her; she's passed out on the couch. You both look exhausted; you deserve a break."

"I can't take a break. My mind can't rest," I sighed.

"I know it can be difficult, but you'll get used to it someday." She smiled, but I was too out of it to smile back. She seemed really sweet; her eyes were small, and her skin was fair. She was good with kids, and she made me feel relaxed.

"Do you have any kids of your own?" I asked, trying to break the silence that we sat in uncomfortably. She didn't respond, and I didn't bother to ask again. She kind of pretended like she didn't hear me, but I knew she did. I figured at that moment that the answer would be too much, and she didn't deserve that.