匚卄卂卩ㄒ乇尺 13(Dinner and a Toast)

Chapter 13: Dinner & a Toast

Rudolph Alinsky

May, 2023

One year after outbreak

Loveland Nebraska

Season 2

------------------

"And what's your name?" I asked one of the little girls who had requested to hold Juna. She had beautiful light brown skin with freckles on her nose and cheeks. She had monolid brown eyes and dark chestnut-brown hair that fell almost to her waist. I had only seen her a few times before, never with the other kids. She looked up at me with a shy smile and whispered, "Airianna." I could tell she was a bit reserved, but there was a curiosity in her eyes that made me want to get to know her better.

"What happened to your eye?" She had a scar above her left eye. She didn't respond; her silence worried me and made me wonder if the scar held a painful memory for her. I gently reached out and touched her arm, asking if she was okay. She flinched slightly but nodded, still avoiding eye contact.

"Rudi, can I talk to you?" Steve asked me; I didn't even know he was here. I turned towards Steve, surprised by his sudden presence.

"Sure." We left the children; I felt comfortable leaving Juna with Edin, Khai, and Aaron. I didn't plan to be gone for long anyway.

"So you've met Airi, and you've noticed her injuries. She came here not long after the start. Her dad, Nicolás, died only a few weeks later; he was bitten when they got here. It was early, and we didn't know what the virus was, so we treated him. He was the first one to turn here. Airianna and he were on a plane together, coming from Puerto Rico, when everything first went down. From his time here, Caterine didn't really pick up on it, but I could tell Nic's plan was to leave her in the United States, maybe in a foster care system or something. He was kind of a prick. When Nic turned, he attacked a lot of the older people here. Airianna saw him kill the nanny. She goes outside the walls on her own without a weapon because Catherine refuses to let me train her. And I would if I could; she's a strong kid and knows how to handle herself for the most part. But I'm afraid there'll come a time when she won't just be able to run from the dead. Rudolph, I'm worried about her; she's only ten."

"Steve, that's terrible."

"I know, but there's nothing I can do. Catherine doesn't believe me when I tell her she goes out there. I've tried to talk Airi out of doing it, but she doesn't listen. For her, going out there is an escape; her dad died here. I don't think she understands how bad of a person he was."

"Maybe I can. I don't know if she'll listen any better to a newcomer, but we have to try something. She seems like a sweet kid. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep comfortably at night knowing that she might not come back one time."

"So you'll talk to Airianna? I would really appreciate it if you did, and I bet she would too. You're a good dad." Steve asked.

"Yeah, thanks; I'll talk to her."

---------------------

Ethan Warren

--------------------

They invited us to dinner that evening. I haven't had a hot meal since Christmas. Leah didn't show up. I hope she's okay. It's been a while since I last heard from her, but I think she prefers it that way. Camila didn't come either. Rudi skipped out because he had to put Juna to bed.

Catherine gave us a two-story house in the corner of the town. There was enough room for us all. There was even air conditioning. It felt wrong to have electricity. We had gotten so used to living without it.

"I'd like to make a toast to our new arrivals," Catherine started. "We built this place to protect people from the cruel outside world, and it fills me with so much joy when people find their way here. I wholeheartedly hope you and your family are able to find peace here, Mr. Warren. This place is your home for as long as you wish it to be. To the new arrivals!"

"To the new arrivals!"