匚卄卂卩ㄒ乇尺 16(You Would Even Say it Glows)

Chapter 16: You Would Even Say It Glows

Rudolph Alinsky

December, 2022

Seven months after outbreak

The Apartment, Minnesota

Season 1

------------

It's been a week, and I still haven't told Ethan or anyone else about the new people. I've been trying to let Olivia warm up to me because maybe I was wrong about Lucas. Maybe there was a deeper story that I wasn't hearing. But every time I try to bring up the topic, Olivia changes the subject or avoids eye contact. It's frustrating because I know she holds the key to understanding Lucas's true intentions, but I don't want to push her too hard and risk losing her trust.

"I know I won't make it in this world, Rudi," Olivia sighed as we sat together on the roof, the fresh, calming snow falling over us.

"Don't say that," I said, letting out a slight laugh filled with sadness. I hated when people talked like this because it reminded me of myself.

"It's true. I'm not fit for this world. I've seen how your group is, and while I know you probably won't all make it, some of you will. Enough of you."

"You're probably right."

"I am, and the best part is you're good people. You need to stay that way, even if the world feels like it's pushing down on you in every way possible." I smiled; her words were comforting to me. "I want you to take care of my baby. It can't be me; I know it can't. She'll never make it with me. You have a kind heart, Rudi; you can teach her what she needs to learn."

"I don't know, Via. I hesitated.

"Yes, you do."

-------------------

Ethan Warren

--------------------

Khai, Aiden, Dallen, and I went hunting this morning and got ourselves a decent-sized buck for Christmas dinner tonight. Amy and Aaron cooked it over the fire we built in the backyard.

I wasn't inviting Lucas or Camila to the dinner. The only reason I was letting Olivia join was because Rudi made me. He looks at Lucas differently than he did when he first arrived. Anger filled his eyes now, but he also seemed a little afraid. I couldn't help but wonder what had caused this change in Rudi's attitude towards Lucas. It made me question if there was something more going on between them that I wasn't aware of.

Rudi has been by Olivia's side a lot now. He pulled a knife on Lucas when he tried to touch her arm. That's when I knew something was wrong. But I didn't ask; after all, I couldn't ruin Rudi's favorite holiday.

I feel like I have a habit of trying not to intervene. I try to tell myself it's a good thing, but I know it's not. If I'm supposed to be the leader, I have to keep this group from turning on each other. I have to stop looking the other way.

"I'm going to go cut down a tree; Aiden found an ax on his and Rudi's last supply run," Khai said. I swear her eyes glowed as the words came from her mouth.

"We don't even have any lights," I said. I couldn't bring myself to fully veto the idea of having a Christmas tree; I liked the idea too. But with our limited resources, it seemed impractical and potentially dangerous. However, seeing the excitement in Khai's eyes made me consider finding a compromise that would bring some holiday cheer without compromising our safety.

"It's only a little past noon. Aiden and Rudi can go on a run. There's bound to be some somewhere. Who would take a bunch of colorful lights when it's the apocalypse?"

"Someone like us. But sure, do what you want. I'll talk to Aiden." Khai smiled and ran out the door in a hurry.

In the meantime, I went to find Aiden. I thought he'd be in the kitchen with Edin, but the two of them haven't been talking much recently.

He was outside with Aaron, and he was teaching him how to hold a gun properly.

"Aiden!" I yelled, making Aaron jump a bit.

"Yeah?" he responded, slowly walking my way.

"Can you go on a run, just you and Rudi?"

"Sure, what for? Are you out of toothpaste again?"

"No," I laughed. "Khai wants to decorate a tree; she was hoping you could pick up some lights."

"Of course she has some obscure idea like that. Aaron, we'll continue this tomorrow!"