匚卄卂卩ㄒ乇尺 6(The King's Circus)

Chapter 6: The King's Circus

Ethan Warren

Estimated, April 2024

About 23 months after outbreak

California

Season 3

--------------

After what happened to Khai, I realized that we had waited too long. We weren't looking hard enough, and we just kept wasting too much time. We got out of the house, and I know I never shared this with the others, but I told myself that I wouldn't sleep until we found somewhere. My shoes had holes in the bottom of them now, my feet were bleeding, and my legs were sore. We were all in unbearable pain, but still, I wouldn't stop. I would only stop if my body completely forced me to, the way it had after I'd been shot. I can still feel the pain of the wounds if I move too fast, so I'm constantly reminded of what's worse out here.

I started noticing weird things as we walked the quiet, lonely, dark streets. All of the dead were wearing very odd outfits, like they just came from being in a play. Their numbers only increased as we walked further. Rudi said he almost felt bad for killing such "stylist gentlemen, and I kind of agree. It definitely took your mind off of what these things actually are. It was rather humorous, but it was starting to creep me out. I wanted to turn back, but something inside me told me I shouldn't.

"Who goes there? A voice bellowed from within a loudspeaker. Spotlights showed up on us, and I saw my life flash before my eyes. I honestly thought that this might be the end. My heart raced as I tried to gather my thoughts, realizing that we had stumbled upon something far more dangerous than we had anticipated.

"Do not fear, young ones; as long as you mean no harm, you will be unharmed."

"Who the hell is this?" I asked, lifting my gun and watching how the others who still had a few bullets did the same.

"My name is Thomas King; welcome to The Circus," he said proudly. I could hear his smile, and I guessed that he didn't get too many visitors. I almost thought this was a dream; it seemed all too weird to be a reality. A man performing an act made me extremely uneasy.

Metal doors opened in front of us, and when the lights inside the community finally turned on, I was astonished. It was a small town enclosed by walls, and in the center sat a 50-foot-tall circus tent.

Was this going to be the start of our new beginning? From the moment I stepped inside, I knew we had found something we could never let go of. I was hoping I would be able to trust the people and their leaders, but I couldn't take any chances. If I ever had a shred of doubt, I'd leave with my group and never come back.