blood

The waves of the lake surrounding the Lost Woods washed over me. I watched as the blood on my clothes, my skin, my hands, loosened their grip on me and was swept away by the currents. 

     I sighed, slowly. For once, the flaming pain in my right hand was numbed by the freezing waters. 

     Was there a way to make up for what I'd done?

     I knew the answer. 

     I rematerialized back in the HQ and blinked in the sudden light. 

     One after another the Champions-- the Revolutionaries appeared one after another. Immediately I moved towards Mipha and Revali. Mipha shrank back slightly and Revali met my eyes evenly. 

     "Explain yourselves." I said, my expression unreadable. 

     "You're back!" 

     Sadie ran from Zelda's room and leapt into my arms. I held her as she rested her cheek on my shoulder. She was scared, I could tell, and I doubted it was only because of tonight. I reminded myself to ask her what happened back here. 

     "I'm dripping wet," I murmured to her, but she didn't let go. 

     Zelda emerged from her ajar door and frowned slightly at us. 

     "Remind me, what's your relationship again?"

     "Both time travellers." I answered. "Both wanderers with nowhere else to go."

     "Hmm. Well? What happened in the Lost Woods?"

     So I told her. Everything. I told her of losing my mind, of meeting the other Link, of the other force hidden in the shadows, and of the Units. 

     "...What." She said as I finished.

     "That's what happened. We're as confused as you are."

     "So you couldn't stop yourself from--" Daruk started. 

     I sighed, my teeth scraping my lip. "I don't know what happened. I just-- kind of lost control."

     "That is horrific, but there's nothing we can do about this for now." Zelda said. "Link, you have to monitor yourself. We have a ton of other problems, and this cannot happen again. That's not who we are, what we're fighting for. You have to find out why."

     I hung my head. "Understood."

     "All right. Next. Revali and Mipha. Is it true you're affiliated with another group?" Zelda's gaze turned into a glare as she turned to the two. 

     "Yes," Revali said, shrugging nonchalantly. 

     "So you're spies."

     "No, no, Zelda, listen, it's not like that." Mipha held up her hands. "First of all, we're not against you. The other rebel group has the same objective as all of us. We're all fighting for the same thing. We are not enemies or spies."

     "We're not even their subordinates." Revali's tone was obviously bored. "Just allies. Hylia forbid I ever become Link's little soldier. The other Link, but you too."

     "We are Revolutionaries." Mipha said. "Through and through. You don't have to doubt our morality."

     "It's rather hard to believe." Zelda's eyes narrowed. "Why did you never tell us, then?"

     "Um... Well... It's actually rather awkward, with who the others are." Mipha looked away. "We had to make sure it was the right time to make contact if we want to ally. But-- before you draw any conclusions, you have to know-- the others have incredible resources. They have their spies all over Tera's heart and enough manpower to form an army."