bells

I saw her first.

     Sadie. Behind bars. Sadie, on the floor. Sadie, slowly bleeding out. Sadie, who couldn't even raise her head at me.

     There was a man beside her, his mask as scarred as his body was, holding a bloody knife that flashed in the flickering light. The blood -- her blood -- slowly traced down the length of the gleaming steel and dripped almost lazily onto the floor, right by her face. The steady rhythm rang throughout the room like the tolling of a bell.

     Then I saw Macheena.

     I could almost see her smirk beneath her mask as she sauntered closer, knowing that she had defeated me again, again. 

     Then I knew, with cold, numb surety.

     I had fallen into her trap again.

     Hylia, I was stupid. I was so, so stupid.

     "Come to rescue your girl?" That mockery. I fought for breath. 

     Then Sadie moved.

     On shaking hands she braced herstelf upwards, her matted hair falling over her face as she shifted her shoulders backwards, turning to stare at me with her hazel eyes. They were surprisingly clear. 

     The same eyes that I had seen a month ago, in those moonlit woods. The same iron purpose. The same resolve.

     Then the man kicked her squarely in the ribs and she choked, specks of blood flying out of her mouth.

     I started towards her, my muscles tensing, desperation burning a hole in my chest, when she looked up again and held my gaze steadily. Macheena watched this exchange with mild interest.

     Slowly, as though thinking over her every move carefully, she shook her head. The movement was so small that it was nearly invisible at first glance.

     Everything in me ground to a halt.

     She did not throw herself at the bars, desperate for release. She did not cry. She did not scream when the tip of that man's boot buried itself in her flesh. She took it all with an icy calmness that I had seen so many times in--

     Myself.

     Hylia, what had I done?

     Only four weeks ago, she had been a smiling, laughing stable girl, playing that guitar with such sweetness in her eyes. Even though she was already well on her way to the path of suffering, used again and again for her own kindness, her own innocence. But this--

     Had I ruined someone else's life?

     Had I turned her into--

     Sadie closed her eyes, resting her head in a puddle of her own blood.

     Macheena took a step closer. Her shadow fell onto me, looming over me although she wasn't that much taller than I was. I tensed my muscles, fear and dread making way for a raging, flaming anger. 

     "Well, Hero, you've got quite a partner with you." She said, leaning casually against the wall. I could hardly miss the triumph positively rolling off of her. "Surprisingly tight-lipped, despite her softness. But that all doesn't matter any more."

     She waved a dismissive hand. "You came at the perfect time. It's almost time for the ritual to start. And we can't begin with the both of you looking like savage ruffians, can we now? Lord Ganon won't like that at all!"

     I followed her gaze to the window, embedded high up in the wall. Late afternoon. 

     Lord Ganon.