Twenty Days

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT!!! THANK YOU!

I was cleaning up the counter and getting ready to close up when Doria comes through the door. “Juliana, can I speak with you for a moment.”

I set down the rag and nod, wiping my hands on my apron. We walk back to her small office and she motions for me to have a seat.

“as you know, this was always my dream. To own a small bakery and put smiles onto everybody’s faces.” I smile and nod, not quite sure as to what she was getting to. “and I can tell that you’ve always wanted to do this too, am I correct?”

“yes, since I was a little kid.”

“well, I’m planning on retiring at the end of the month but I still want this place to be a bakery.”

“and…?” this conversation was sounding better and better.

“and I was wondering if you’d like ownership?”

“oh my god! Seriously?”

“yes seriously. There’s just one thing, I don’t want it to become a corporation or anything. Just the small bakery it.”

“there’s no other way I’d want it. But you’re not joking? You’re giving me the bakery?”

“None of my kids want it, and you’ve done such an amazing job over the past few months. I can’t imagine giving it to anyone else.”

I jump out of my chair and hug her from across the desk. Doria laughs and hugs back. “you’ll have to stop by some though.”

“of course I will.” She lets go, “now on you go, I’m sure Adam will love to hear that you’re staying.”

“ack! Thank you! thank you! thank you!” Doria laughs and shoos me out of the room. I quickly untie my apron and run out to Dakotas car that I had been using.

I made sure I went the speed limit down the street and get there as fast as I can. When I get to the front door, it’s lock, meaning no one was home. Well that’s not fair. I get back into the car and race off to Adams’ office. I’d been there a couple time before, but not that often.

The elevator was being seriously slow so I took off my heels and ran up the five flights of stairs to his floor level. I run down the halls, which I’m sure is against the rules, to his desk just to find him gone.

“he went to get some coffee.” Matt, the guy who sits across from him says, “just like a minute ago.”

“thanks Matt!” I say and run back down to the break room. When I get there I notice three women who were all trying to get closer and closer to Adam. A laugh accidentally slips out of my mouth.

All the heads look up at me, “hey.” I say, walking past the girls and up to Adam. They were all glaring at me like I just stole their blanket. “I’ve got some news.” I tell him, grabbing his hand and running it across my stomach. The other girls let out disapproving sounds and stomp out of there.

“you’re pregnant?”

“haha, no. but you caught onto that too? I’m surprised. Anyways, that was to get them out of here.”

“hey, hey, no disrespecting the fan club.”

“right. I do have news though.”

“and this news must be big if you drove over here and run up the stairs barefooted just to tell me.”

“oh it humongous.”

“really?”

“really.”