Chapter 25

Something in my veins kept me from moving as I got into the car. It feels like everything is light. I did something bad. He drives silently, but the radio is loud. The various roads resembled the Highway to Hell, but with him, they resembled the Way to Heaven. I know it's not logical, but I feel like I have a weight lifted off my shoulders as I sit in the passenger seat next to him.

"What have you done to Anne's car?"

Suddenly, I remembered what I'd done to Anne's car. My laughter echoed in the car. She can't go home like that.

"Do you still remember her face? It's hectic! That's one in a million." I laughed again. When I think of her face, it's hard to forget.

"Do you not feel pity on her? You are her friend. How could you do that?" He questioned me. My smile dropped, and annoyance creped inside me.

"Why? Are you siding with her instead of me? I'm your wife! Nasa side dapat kita. She can't put her hand on your shoulder! That's mine! Sige nga! Gusto mo din bang may humahawak sa balikat ko?!"

"That's now what I'm saying-"

"It is. You are telling me to let her do things like how your wife does." I yelled.

"Zand-"

"No." My voice was harshly exhaled and looked away.

"Zand-"

"Then marry her! Divorce me!" I screamed, glaring at him through window. 

"Zandra. Listen." Napahilamos siya sa mukha niya. Bumilis ang takbo ng kotse.

"No! Why would I? Look, Fin. Binasag ko lang ang mga salamin ng kotse niya. Inuulit ko, binasag ko lang. Makakauwi siya ng maayos, Fin. Makakain siya ng maayos, makakatulog." I explained continued glaring.

"Anong problema sa ginawa ko?"

"That's not right, Zandra. You knew that."

"No! Hindi ko alam 'yon. Hindi mali ang ginawa ko kung gusto mo magsama kayong dalawa! Ibaba mo ko diyan." Turo ko sa kanto.

Lalong bumilis ang paandar niya. "Let's continue this talk in the house." He ended it.

Lumipas ang oras ay dumating kami sa aming bahay. Kusa kong binuksan ang pinto at lumabas dito.Narinig ko ang pagsunod niya sa'kin.

"Zandra, talk to me." He begged. Hindi ako tumingin sa kanya at umakyat sa kwarto. Alam kong sarado ang utak ko sa mga sasabihin niya. Pagpasok ng kwarto ay isasarado ko sana ang pinto ng biglang humarang ang kanyang paa.

"Zandra.. Talk to me." pakiusap nito.

"Kausapin mo mukha mo! Doon ka! Sumama ka sa kanya." Inis kong sabi. Tinulak ko ulit ang pintuan at tuluyang sumara ito. I locked it and made my way to the bed.

My body is too tired to continue arguing with him. I let out a sigh of exhaustion, as if all the energy had been drained from me. I didn't care about taking a shower and just jumped on our bed.

"Zandra, let me in." He talked low. "You can't sleep with me tonight! Sleep with your wife! Go back to your wife!" I urged him and rolled my eyes. 

I felt my body sink into the mattress, and for a moment, I could forget about the heated argument I had with my husband.

Silence...

Little by little, I fell asleep. Gradually, the darkness of sleep descended upon me as my eyes grew heavy and my mind drifted off into a peaceful slumber. All of a sudden, I felt cold fingertips running over my skin. The sensation sent a chill down my spine, and I was suddenly wide awake, trying to make sense of the moment.