Chapter 27

SUDDENLY, THE DOOR SWUNG. Armed men surrounded us. In the skies, there are too many helicopters. We froze in fear, not knowing what to do next. One of the men shouted at us to get down on the ground while another barked orders into his walkie-talkie. Salamat sa Dios at dumating ang kailangan ko.

Then, in the middle of them, I saw him. He is holding the gun diligently. "Finnian," I mumbled. He was always so calm and collected, but now I could see the fear in his eyes.

"Zandra!" He called me.

The barking voice on the walkie-talkie was getting louder and more frantic, and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Finnian motioned for me to stay down as he slowly approached Terick with the gun. I held my breath as he spoke calmly, trying to diffuse the situation.

I was deeply happy to see him right now. Tears streamed down. All I wanted to feel was his warmth.

My feet started to run towards him. His weapon is pointing at my back.

A loud bang was fired into the air.

I froze for a moment, wondering what was happening. He ran the distance, grabbed my hand, and pulled me towards safety, assuring me that everything was going to be okay. My heart was pounding, and my mind was racing with fear and confusion. I couldn't believe that I had just narrowly escaped a potentially deadly situation.

"Zandra." His eyes were delicate. His arms were wrapped tight around me. "The medic!" He yelled. I could feel my heart racing as he led me to the medic, who immediately tended to my injuries. I couldn't help but feel grateful for his quick thinking and bravery in that moment.

I tried to look back, but Finnian held me securely. "You are badly hurt, Zandra." His jaw was clenched, and his fists were snug. He tried to get away from my grip, but I stopped him.

The pain in his eyes was visible.

"Dito ka lang." Turo ko sa gilid ko.

Mabilis siiyang lumapit sa'kin, at tumingin sa mga mata ko. "What else do you want?" Tanong niya. Umiling ako at ngumiti. "Wag kang umalis dito sa tabi ko. Ayos na 'ko." sabay tingin sa labi niya.

Lumapit siya at pinatakan ng halik ang labi ko. Umabot ito ng segundo bago niya pakawalan ang labi ko. "She has damaged bones and ribs as well as suffered from an internal hemorrhage." Sabat ng babaeng gumagamot sa'kin.

"Sabihin mo kung masakit dito-"

"Ahh!" Hindi pa siya tapos ay humayaw na 'ko. "Careful. Her skin is soft and sensitive." Sabi ni Fin sa babae. Sumilip ang ngiti sa labi ko. Pilit kong tinago ang ngiti at tumingin sa ibang lugar.

Mabilis nilang naagapan ang ibang sugat sa katawan ko at pinili na 'kong dalhin sa hospital para sa ibang mga injury. Sa loob ng sasakyan, tahimik ang paligid.

"Why didn't you tell me, Zandra?" He asked.

He sounded so serious now. I took a deep breath and braced myself for whatever was coming next.