Chapter 22 : Usual Suspects [EP 25]

Washington, DC
December 30. 09:16

We watched on the TV as Superman gave his speech for the newest members of the Justice League. Cat Grant was reporting from the Hall.

"You are watching live coverage of the Justice League's induction of its five newest members. Looks like the entire league has shown up to welcome the new blood. Everyone from Batman to Captian Marvel"

"I'm glad they didn't kick Billy out" Wally said taking a bite of the apple he was holding. "And I love the fact that there's a ten year old on the League" He went on before he got an elbow in both of his ribs by me and Dick.

"There is?" Rocket sounded confused.

"Way for keep a secret, genius" I said looking at him.

"Hey! She's on the team now...right?" Wally looked to Rocket.

"Superman is now handing out official League membership cards starting with Doctor Fate" Cat said as the golden magician was panned to.
"The Atom. Plastic Man. And Icon"

"I was the one who convinced she Icon to become a hero in the first place" Rocket said with her hands on her hip. "I should he out there celebrating with him. Not hidden away in here"

"Welcome to our world" Kaldur said.
"Well. I suppose there's an upside too" She said batting her lashes at him. I sat down in a chair.

"Finally. Green Arrow welcomes his former protégé, Speedy now known as Red Arrow to this roster of heroes"

"Way to go Roy!" Wally cheered.

"At last, he had his wish" Kaldur nodded.

"The first of us to make it" Dick smiled in agreement. "No one will call him a sidekick anymore"

"Wait" Raquel, Rocket, said. "Since when is being a side kick a bad thing? You sidekicks were my inspiration"

"Well...see...six months ago-" Dick began but his communicator went off. I stood back up.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Cheshire"

"So there you have it, the words officially a safer place" Was the last thing I heard Cat Grant say before we left.

****
Smokey Mountains
December 30, 10:48

"Ar-are you sure it's her?" Artemis asked his voice trembling as the Bio-ship flew over the white mountains. I was going to search Artemis' face but I couldn't pull my eyes away from my snow. "I mean are you absolutely positive?"

"See for yourself" Robin said as he casted his HoloGlove to the screen in frount of us. "This is security footage from the Asheville Regional Airport...facial recognition confirms that's Jade Nquyen. But you've seen her without her mask....what do you think?"

"It's Jade. Cheshire" Artemis said.

"Agreed, but focus on what she carries" Kaldur interrupted my gaze so I looked away from the snow. "Is that the case you saw in New Orleans? The one that got away?"

"Yes" She nodded.

"Okay. I'm guessing from the mug shot that this Cheshires the bad guy" Rocket said looking at us. "But what is so important about the case?"

"Remember the Injustice League?" Robin asked as he pulled up a photo of them.

"And their gains evil plants? Uh, yeah" She nodded.

"The Team and the League put them in prison but their allies still scheme and whatever is in that contentment case seems important to their plans" Kaldur replied.