{ thirty-four } what's left

Start from the beginning

Without thinking too long about it, her hands placed themselves on her triggers. She shot them onto the far wall, launching herself upwards with the last spurts of her gas. She'd done it before, though the reason she needed to sneak through the windows had changed drastically.

The window she crouched in front of was lit by an array of candles inside of the room. It was a small library of some sort in the west wing of the building. The bottom had already been cracked open by whoever was using the room in their leisure. Grasping her hands at the bottom of the lift, Kira steadily raised the wooden bar along with the bottom half of the window.

Entering feet first, Kira unhooked her triggers as her body rolled into the room. Her steps were silent as she attempted to make her way to the first chair she saw. Just beside the window, that she used her right hand to lower it back to its starting point, the plush beige cushions decorated the wide-set chair. It was sewn in an expensive fabric, most likely the highest quality cotton the walls could produce. It looked comfortable, but Kira's body crumpled to the floor before she could take another step. Her back leaned against the wall beside the window, her head tucked into her chest as she collected her breath.

Her abdomen was tense as it demanded a moment of complete stillness to begin healing her cuts and bruises. Her legs slowly scooted towards her, and she used them to cover herself as she lazily wrapped her arms around her ankles. Just for a second, even if it meant her mind showcased her flashes of what the day had brought, her eyes closed as they yearned for just a minute of nothing.

Her right arm shot upwards, catching the hardcover book before it could make contact with her forehead. Her eyes opened a second later and she looked up at the entrance, where the large wooden door had opened.

Her blonde hair was in a low ponytail, her eyes wide and surprised in a way Kira found familiar. She wore a light pink nightgown, the silk material almost reflective as it met the candle light. The tea that was once in her left hand had dropped to the floor, and Kira's exhausted ears could barely pick up the sound of someone calling out to the girl in concern. The blonde replied to the far call as she hastily closed the door behind her, placing the broken teacup and plate down on the side table next to another beige, well-cushioned chair that matched the first one.

"Faith?!" Historia whispered in shock, kneeling down by Kira's feet. "What are you doing here?!"

"I was nearby," Kira answered loosely.

There wasn't much of a reason. Or, maybe there was. Maybe she wanted to see the face of someone she knew that she hadn't yet failed. How could she fail someone she barely knew? Maybe she wanted to see the face of someone she knew intact, well fed and taken care of.

Maybe it was because she didn't want to go back to the others yet.

Maybe she worried whether or not they'd let her back in.

She'd already been so disappointed.

"How'd you–" Historia was scrambling for answers to questions she stumbled asking, her arms waving around sporadically. "D–did you climb through the window?!"

"You need better security," Kira chided, feeling the girl in front of her smack one of her knees as she grumbled under her breath.

"I am a trained soldier," the blonde huffed as she plopped down in front of Kira's legs. "I can take care of myself just fine, thank you."