Chapter 20 - Stone Cold Boulders

*unedited*
_________________

"Illyanna?" Sonya was now at Illyannas side looking at her with an overly concerned look across her face.

The voice in her head was repeating her name over and over again.

'Illyanna talk to me'

Illyanna shook her head trying anything to get the voice to stop. She hated how powerless she felt.

"What's wrong? What's a happening? Illyanna talk us me!" Newt half-shouted

"My head-" was all Illyanna managed to mutter

She began hitting her head and wailing out in frustration. "Agh. Stop. Stop. Stop What the hell do you want?" Illyanna tried to answer the voice.

"Illyanna calm down. Your gonna have to talk to us" Harriet said, trying to keep her voice tranquil.

'Don't give up. Answer me in your mind' the bizarre voice said, emphasise on 'mind'.

Illyanna noticed the voice was male but she'd never heard it before. Maybe something about it sounded similar but she was just as clueless as the people around her.

"Please stop" Illyanna only murmured to herself. And at that Illyanna couldn't take it anymore so she ran out of the room and into the glade, through the sharp grass, across the stream in the forest and to a little boulder that she lay her back against, hoping for some relief of her migraine.

Her palms were gripped and locked to her ears and her head buried in her knees as she lay against the cold, stone rock. The airy win hushed at her legs and arms, causing her to shiver. She sat there in the same position for around 10 minutes until she was sure that the peculiar voice had decided to keep quiet.
'Maybe it's all in my head' Illyanna thought to herself. 'No. It was too. Too... real.' Illyanna had never expected to experience something so... inexplicable. She thought sleep would bring a fresh set of thoughts and some ease to her drooping eyes so she lay down on her side, secured her eyes shut and slept.

She was shook awake by a figure later in the evening as the sun was half way set. Illyanna couldn't make out the figure straight away as she was pretty exhausted but when it sat beside her she found it was Newt.

"Aren't you a little cold out here? It'll be dark soon"

Illyanna shrugged but still Newt placed a thin old blanket over her body.

"Thanks" Illyanna smiled at the kind gesture as she could feel the cold starting to bite at her fingers.

"Do you want to talk about earlier at the homestead? Are you alright?" Newt asked, picking at a small prick of grass.

"Yeah I'm fine my head feels better."

"You gonna tell me why it was sore in the first place?"

"Truth is. I don't really know either. It was very strange. You probably won't believe me"

"Try me. With all that happens in the glade I'm sure I can believe anything."

"It's hard to explain but. It was like this voice. In my head, speaking to only me. The voice was echoing off my skull like I could almost feel it."

"What was this voice saying?" Newt asked

"Things like ' Illyanna answer me.' 'I know you can hear me. ' Oh and the weirdest thing was 'don't give up answer me in your mind"

"Wow that is strange. Let me just try and wrap my head around that" Newt smiled and Illyanna let out a small laugh.

"Our life is really strange." Illyanna looked up at the sky.

"oh tell me about it" Newt then sighed sarcastically "I'll tell Alby, Harriet and Sonya about your situation if that's okay with you?"

"Yea totally"

"Did you uh, recognise the voice you were hearing?" Newt questioned

"Uhhh no. But it was definitely a male. 100%." Illyanna left out the part of it sounding a bit familiar as it sounded funny and pointless and she already had too many people in the glade not trusting her.

"Got it." Said Newt, giving Illyanna a thumbs up. "Oh well I'd best be off got some duties to for fill. You can stay here for tonight don't worry. Tomorrow we'll figure out what'll be happening with our current situation here. And I think you should come sort it out with us too."

"I'd be more than happy to" Illyanna grinned.

Then Newt stood up "Bye, Illy."

"Bye!"

Illyanna was now alone in the woods though she didn't mind it at all. She could hear the faint sound of the gladers chatting and finishing off their jobs in the distance. The best thing she thought of doing right now was sleeping. And so she pulled up her shaggy blanket all the way up to her chin, lay down on the grass and closed her eyes then feel asleep.

She raised awake in a dream. A dream that gave her that familiar feeling again. A feeling she was getting a bit too used to. She found herself in a white room with a white desk and two white chairs at it. In the left corner was a black security camera with a red flashing light that assured it was turned on and working. She was being watched. But by who?

Illyanna sucked in a fresh breath of air "Hello? Anybody there." She knew somebody was near she could sense it. She walked about the room doing nothing and grew bored so she sat on the chair at the right side of the desk and placed her hands over the table. "Hellooo" Illyanna whistled, not really expecting a response. After about a minute a rectangle in the wall began to open like how the doors to the maze do. A man in a blue mask stepped into the room.

"Who are you?" Illyanna asked, trying not to show her fear.

The brown-haired boy took of the mask, revealing his face as the boy who entered the maze with the note saying 'he's the last one ever. No more'

"I'm-" the boy began but was cut off when Illyanna woke back up in the maze to the same sound of birds chirping.

___________________________

A/N: Hi all! Thanks for reading!