Chapter 17 - Hidden in the guests

Illyanna gave Gally a look of acknowledgment so he knew she was thankful.

Again people nodded their heads and others shook them but majority looked to agree with Gally and Illyanna couldn't help but smile.

"Right next" Alby said pointing to the next person who Illyanna didn't know.

"I agree with Gally." The boy said shrugging

"Okay next then"

The next person was a girl who agreed with Gally aswell.

A few more people said they agreed with Gally until it came to Winston.

Illyanna let out a sigh.

"She broke a rule. And may I say our number one rule." Winston sighed looking as if he was giving in "Look I'm not saying we should banish someone here but I think you're being a bit too light on her. How about 3 weeks in the pit with no company and she'll get meals."

'What's the 'pit'?' Illyanna thought 'oh that cage Sonya showed me on the tour. I don't want to be in there for 3 weeks. I want to explore the maze'

Everybody was silent until a girl spoke up "Oh Winston we know she broke a rule. You and other people have already stressed the point. And we live by that code. But what is locking her up in a cage for a month gonna do, huh? If she can save Minho and Atticus in the maze at night she'd be a great help around the glade. An extra hand we could use"

"Ida-" Alby began

"Yeah Ida's right Illy could be like a runner." Newt said, obvious he didn't mean to say it so loudly.

The room drooped soundless for a moment, then the keepers burst into opinions again.

"A girl runner?"

"what?"

"Newt your joking"

"That's a great idea!"

"Oh I never thought of that."

"Maybe newt is right"

"Guys let's be serious about this!"

"We could use a girl runner!"

"SHUT UP" Sonya wailed at the kids. "Jesus Christ how many times a day am I to bloody tell all of you shuck faces to stop talking. You'd think keepers would be mature."

Illyanna almost laughed at how quickly Sonya could get them all quiet.

"Well I for one agree with you Newt" Minho said again, all the attention going to him "At first I thought this girl was just some other glader but she saved two people when she was in the maze. Either it was pure luck or not. It happened. I don't know if it was stupidity that brought her into the maze but she was sure as hell great at handling this whole situation. So I agree she should be a runner."

Illyanna was buzzing. Was she really going to get what she wanted?

Winston had his head in his hands.

Keepers were raising there hands in approval and Newt began counting them all up. "Majority rules" he said looking a bit too happy and gave Illyanna a look that said ''congratulations'.

Then most of the gladers unexpectedly began cheering! Looking happy for Illyanna before a deafening sound shut the chatter off.

'What is that?' Illyanna thought furrowing her brows.

Newt, Alby, Harriet and Sonya all looked at each other. They knew what the sound was and looked panicked.

Illyanna listened closer before recognition painted her face.

It was the box.

____________________________________________

A/N: Hello! Sorry this chapters a wee bit short but I'll try make the next one longer! Have a good day/night/morning! And as always thanks for the support and the reads! If you haven't
Already please vote it really helps my motivation on this story and maybe I can gain more reads! I love you all - Anna. (Sorry for the spelling/grammar/hard to read sentences. It's 2am and I'm gonna die of exhaustion)