9 - of course it was a man

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

the devil is real. and he's not a little red man with horns and a tail. he can be beautiful 'cause he's a fallen angel and he used to be god's favorite. "
-american horror story <3

song to listen to: can't pretend by tom odell

warnings: screaming, fighting, descriptions of violence, heavy swearing, descriptions of panic & terror, crying, betrayal, descriptions of dead bodies, finding out what caused cameron's blindness, um... y'all are used to it at this point, right? okay. thank you.

~~~~~~

"It's been you?" I asked, butterflies with razor wings flying around my stomach like the world was ending.

"No, no, it's a lot to explain, Rose. Please, just come with me, and I can explain it-" A hand extended to take my own, Solomon began to walk closer.

"No! No, you stay the hell away from me!" I backed myself partially against the wall, trying to hide how terribly I was shaking from fear. "How could you do this? How could you sacrifice Union to the Devil?! Why? What do you gain from it, Solomon, tell me-"

"I was tired of being mistreated." His words were made of nonsense.

A man like Solomon Goode does not get mistreated in this day and age. It's pure idiocy for him to even think like that.

"Mistreated?" I allowed a small scoff to sound. "How have you been mistreated? Who has Solomon Goode been mistreated by-"

"God!" His voice boomed throughout the caverns, making the trembling of my hands much more noticeable than they had been. "God has mistreated me! Mistreated my family-"

"So this is what you do in turn?!" I shouted, the memories of months that passed apparent with every tear that stroked my cheek. "You felt that your dead family was getting mistreated, so you took away the youngest of everybody else's?! How is that fair to Union, how is that going to help Union?!"

Every step I took closer towards Solomon, I felt an impending doom, but that didn't matter. He was evil, and I was ending this evil no matter the cost. Maybe not tonight, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not a million years from now, but I will end Solomon Goode.

"They have always feared the Devil, have they not?" I could sense a monologue coming from this evil man. "Union was a mess, Rosette. You must understand that. Before I saved the town, we wouldn't have survived the coming winter! They needed something to set them on the right track, and what works better than to set people on the correct course than fear? I knew the Devil would work his charm, I knew it! And it worked, didn't it? The fear of the Devil has whipped Union into shape! I am the Devil incarnate, aren't I? I fear nothing, I am afraid of nothing-"