5 - okay

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"in my memory, it doesn't end, we just stay there, looking at each other forever"
-john green, paper towns

song to listen to: eleanor rigby by the beatles (slowed)

warnings: extreme idiocy of two concussed idiots, swearing

~~~~~~

july nineteenth , nineteen seventy-eight , about 4:30 P.M.

I'd tried on the purple shirt Joan had left for me over the white one I'd already been wearing; I took a few Advil for the headache; the headache had subsided; Tommy and I slow-danced to 'Eleanor Rigby' by the Beatles. The day had gotten better again, and the fact that I didn't feel a hundred percent myself would not get in the way of this day again! I made me promise to myself, so now it had to happen. I was determined that this day could still turn around-it had to. Recording my annual 'hello' video to play for me when I turned 33 had made me set aside all my worries permanently.

"Mia?" Tommy's voice was soft and sweet as he spoke my name, and I did my best not to blush.

Everything about Tommy Slater is perfect, I've officially made up my mind on that. Everything from his smile to how he treats everybody in his life, even to the simple way of how he says my name-it's just undeniably perfect. It was hard to keep our relationship a secret-in the beginning I'd spend countless nights crying about it, but as the years went on it became easier to cope with. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying and think that everything's just peachy at all times of my life, there are still some nights that I cry over it, but as I said before, it's easier to handle nowadays. Most of the time, anyways.

"How much time do you think we have left to kill before the campers are ready for our pep talk and game plan?" He queried, and I shrugged.

"With their 'war paint' and the fact that not everyone has their Shadyside or Sunnyvale shirts on yet, it could range absolutely anywhere from ten minutes to an hour...why?" I leaned back on the bench, only realizing that there wasn't back support when I nearly fell off of the said bench.

There was no reply from Tommy, just the melodic sound of laughter. Both from embarrassment and how contagious Tommy's laughter was, I too started to laugh. It was a moment of laughter that was so beautiful, so perfectly funny, that at one point the noise stopped coming out of our mouths and we just sat there, looking like idiotic seals. Two idiotic seals clapping and holding onto each other so we don't fall out of our seats.

"Hey, you two lovebirds!" Gary's voice miraculously reached our ears over the course of screaming children, and I went into panic mode as he jogged over. Of course, neither of us commented on the name he'd given us, that would just make the situation worse. "The kiddos need their game plan, and Tommy uh...yeah, you're in charge of that, so go do your job. Mia, tag along with him if you want, we've got zero jobs for you."