1 - why tommy should stop being in charge of my birthday mornings

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"she dreams more often than she sleeps"
- jonny ox

song to listen to: the night we met by lord huron

warning: soft, heart-melting fluff occurs and never stops

~~~~~~

july nineteenth , 1978 , around 5:45 A.M.

"Miiiiiiaaaaaa." Is the first thing I hear when I roll onto my other side. The softly mischievous voice scared me for only a second before the recognization kicked in. "Miiiimiiii, wake u-"

"Toooommy shut uuup...let a girl sleep iiiin." I blindly shoo my blonde best friend away, my voice mimicking his.

"I can't let you sleep in! No, no today's too big of a day! Do you not remember what day it is?! It's a really important day for you, Momma Mia, come on now. Don't tell me you forgot it!" Tommy's voice grew louder, unfortunately causing me to open my eyes. "There your pretty eyes are," His voice was soft again, and he stroked a strand of hair off my cheek.

"Good morning to you too, Thomas Slater." I spoke with a smile upon my face, "Can you remind me what makes today so special?"

"Well, Mia Peters, today's your birthday!" His voice was racked with excitement, a small laugh ending his sentence on an even more joyous note.

For the record, I DID know that it was my birthday today. I just wanted to hear Tommy say those words. I like how he words everything, it always has made me feel safe.

"No no no, my birthday's changed, it's actually July 35th." I made up the date as I heaved myself up into a sitting position.

"Oh really?! Man, that sucks then, I guess you'll never get to open the presents I got for you. That sucks, it really does." The blonde shook his head, pressing his lips together as he straightened his posture. "I spent a lot of money on the presents too! Wow, I guess I'll just go give 'em to Joan or something."

"That was a joke! Nope, that was a joke, I'm just kidding, my birthday has since changed back to July 19th." I laughed, shaking my head and getting out of bed.

My posture was straighter than Cindy's as I took a step closer to Tommy, whose eyebrow cocked in a way that was immensely attractive to any man or woman with eyesight.

"Well then, I guess you'll still get your presents! But maybe not the cake, ya know, since you lied about your birthday." His voice was reminiscent of an authoritarian figure; he crossed his arms and tilted his head slightly back.