10 - a goddamn cat

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"there is never a day that you are more thankful for life than the day you almost died"
-anonymous

song to listen to: in the end by tommee profitt ft. fleurie & jung youth

warnings: mentions of blood, death, gore, weapons, swearing, kissing, swearing some more, screaming, breaking down, a lot of shit, expect a lot of descriptions of gore from here on out. okay? y'all know what to expect at this point.

~~~~~~

I mopped a messy line of Sam and I's watered blood down the hallway I usually took to get to my art class. Never in a million years would I think I'd be doing such an insane thing, but here I was. From the entrance near the principal's office to the art wing, I trailed behind the mop of our blood all alone. The flickering lights only made the regularly creepy school turn into a legit horror movie. Normally, I'd kill to go back in time right now so I would still be watching Edward Scissorhands with my sleeping father. Waiting for Mom together. But right now? Right now, I would kill just to stay alive.

Footfalls sounded in the distance, and something deep down told me that it was Tommy Slater, masked and axed, ready to strike anybody down. I figured I should run now. And so, I did just that, kissing Simon quickly before crawling under the stall door that I knew Sam was in. She was terrified, probably more terrified than I was. We knew the game plan, we knew what we needed to do. Maybe our role wasn't as important as everybody else's, but we still mattered. We had to matter. If not both of us, then at the very least, Sam's life had to matter. I would die for her, and I don't even car that she might not be willing to die for me.

"Are you okay?" I asked Sam, being sure to keep my voice a steady whisper.

"I," she took a shaky breath. "I don't wanna die."

"You won't, Sam. I won't let that happen."

Ruby's voice entered the bathroom in an eerily way. The first of the stall's doors slammed open. Sam began to climb into the vent. The stall next to us was slammed open. Sam's body wriggled her way into the vent. Tommy's feet stomped his way to our stall. Just as I started to climb up, Tommy busted down the stall door.

"SAM!" I cried out for help as he grabbed my ankle, but she wasn't in any set position to help me, the vent barely had enough room for the two of us.

And that's when something entirely out of the ordinary occurred: without me even kicking, Tommy's hand slid off of my ankle. Without any hesitation, I jumped out of the vent, nearly landing on Sam. Luckily, I didn't, otherwise Deena would probably be mad at me.