8 - going, going, gone

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"you were unsure which pain is worse: the shock of what happened or the ache for what never will"
-anon. on tumblr

song to listen to: what about angels by birdy

warnings: mentions of drugs, mentions of death, mentions of violence, swearing, ptsd, panic attacks, death, grieving, screaming, breakdowns..... in general this is a sad chapter, i am so so sorry

~~~~~~

cameron peters's point of view

"Hey, listen, I really hate to bother you, I know it's late and you're probably busy, but uh...I need you to come out to East Union Medical with me. It's been reported that something...something bad's happened, and I'd like you to check it out with me. It might be nothing, but just in case, could you come with me? Call me the second you get this, thanks in advance, Cameron." Nick's voice seemed like an entirely different person's over the phone, and especially when it was a voicemail.

I'd just finished doing the dishes and folding the clothes, so quite frankly, I didn't want to go and be his sidekick for checking out something that had a good chance of simply being a prank call. But he wasn't really asking me to do this, he wasn't giving me any options. The sheriff doesn't do that, whether you're his best friend or his worst enemy. He wanted me to go to East Union Med with him, I was going to go to East Union Med with him. And saying no would get me fired.

I didn't bother with putting on my uniform, I figured it wouldn't be necessary. At this moment in time, I told myself it was only a prank call, and that when I got back home, Jenny and Emily would be there-even Mia too, if I was lucky! As I drove to the hospital in my cruiser, this simple mind of mine drifted to the women in my life.

First and foremost, my wife and my forever person: Emily. She was just...she was everything you could ask for a person to be. She was everything that I needed. We met in '75, started to date in '76, and she was proudly my wife in '81. So for sure, we've put up with each other for a really long time, but I wouldn't change anything that happened to us even if it meant the world was going to end. This world ending didn't even matter to me, because Emily Dyer-Peters is my world. Everything I do, I do with my wife and my daughter and my sister in mind. Sure, we've had a couple of rough days lately, but I knew we'd work around it. We always do.

Thinking of working around things, my mind then traveled to Mia. Sweet, sweet Mia. My sister, and my best friend in the whole wide world. We weren't always too close, but after the massacre in '78, after I almost lost her, I realized how much she meant to me. I realized how much she did for me, and how much she does for me and everybody around her. We look after each other, we always make sure that even when one of us is on the ground and bleeding that we help one another. I've gotten her back up on her feet at her lowest moments, and she's worked with me to get me on my feet when I'm at my own lowest moments. I'd be dead without Mia, and I mean that with every fiber of my body.