4 - worst birthday ever starts now

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

"he was her peace in all the lies and chaos"
- anonymous

song to listen to: je te laisserai des mots by patrick watson

warning: drug mentions, shouting, headaches, swearing, mentions of violence & death

~~~~~~

july nineteenth , nineteen seventy-eight , about 1:30 P.M.

"Either of you got some type of history with her? She had a grudge against you guys or something?" An officer asked Tommy and me after we'd gotten patched up.

This Officer-heaven's forbid I remember his name in my state-had been asking us questions for about ten minutes now. I primarily let Tommy answer them, only for the sole reason of my head hurt like a bitch.

"No grudge, no," Tommy answered for both of us. "No, we barely ever talked. I...I go to get bug spray from her, that's it."

"What about you, Miss Peters? Do you have any idea why she might've done this?" The balding officer looked my way, and I only made eye contact with him for two seconds before looking blankly past him.

"No...no grudge, same as Tommy," I explained, my voice barely a whisper.

"It just doesn't...it doesn't make any sense." Tommy shook his head, and I leaned my own upon his shoulder.

My head hurt like a bitch-the paramedic that patched me up said I had a minor concussion, but I refused to go to the hospital. So they wound up saying that I just have to be careful, and if I have any strange or abnormal behavior then one of my friends should bring me to the hospital. They couldn't give me an explicit answer when I asked them to specify what 'abnormal behavior' would include, which didn't help my case at all. I don't think I'd be expected to know what 'acting normal' meant on a day that was far from normal.

"Why-why would she do something like this?" Cindy spoke up from the left side of me, bringing me to look in her direction.

"She was nuts just like her kid," the officer said absentmindedly whilst writing something down on his notepad.

"But Nurse Lane, she never seemed crazy," Cindy argued in lowercase, briefly glancing at Tommy and me before returning her attention to the officer.

"That's what she said about her kid," Officer McBaldy mansplained. "But sane people? They don't chop up their friends. Now tell me again: what happened? Starting with you, Miss Peters."