Chapter Seven

Soleil's POV

"Mom, stop it! The green curry chicken is more likely puke stuff," Lotte's loud and sharp voice came from the kitchen. This probably happened when she was panicked.

Mama and I shared a look and laughed at mom and Lotte's candid conversation again. It was a risk for letting them stay in the kitchen alone. 

Today, they insisted to cook green curry chicken for our dinner since it was mama and my favorite after we tried it in Thailand.

Mama and I had learned to cook and we succeed in our third time trying. Even though they could follow the step and recipes from mama already prepared for them but we doubt they could make it since it was their first time to cook it.

Most of the time, mama was the chef in the house and I always assist her, and I had learned the secret recipes from her too.

When the sound of utensils drop on the floor, we quickly stood up and headed to the kitchen. "I asked for a spatula, not a ladle," by the tone of mom, I could tell her patience was running thin.

"Seriously, mom. What's the spatula used for scooping the food," I could picture Lotte exclaiming with pulled out her hair and looking at mom as if she was from another planet.

Finally, the view of the mom and daughter bickering scene appeared. The pair and the kitchen were totally a mess. They were still in their evening wear from yesterday, hair in a messy bun and their aprons covered with the stain of sauces.

I bet mama would be freaked out when she saw her favorite pots, bowls, and utensils were all around the counters and sink covered with stubborn stains. She would probably spend a night cleaning up the mess.

When I turned to see mama, I stifled my laughter to see she was staring around the kitchen in horror with her eyes nearly bulging out. Her mind would be thinking how could they make this so far to mess up her sweet place.

She finally calmed down as she quickly approached mom and gently held her forearm, "It's okay. I'll take care of the rest, baby."

Mom gently pushed mama away and insisted, "We can do it, honey. I know it's not what we expected but we almost did it." mom raised a hand and added, "Give us 5 more mins."

Mom swiftly switched off the gas as she stretched her hand toward Lotte as she seemed lost and asked in confusion , "What?"

Mom stared at Lotte and said impatiently, "Plate, my dear."

Lotte quickly handed an empty plate to mom before she outburst. We all in this house knew mom was short pace and easily get grumpy.

I was losing my appetite when mom turned to face us and held a plate of green curry chicken which looks like matcha latte instead. It was too green and scary.

"It's okay, Sunshine. We still have a triple-cheese pizza for you. Just in-" before Lotte could finish mama quickly covered her mouth as mom remained her confident smile at me, "Our sunshine would give me support, right?"

Lotte shook her head eagerly at me with mama's hand covering her mouth. Mama shut her eyes and said, "Um, Sunshine is allergic to coconut. Maybe another time."

Mom turned to glare at mama as she chuckled sheepishly, "Sunshine will have a job later. I don't want her to get her stomach ache."

Lotte's eyes widened as I was shocked too. Mama stepped closer to mom as she wrapped an arm around mom's shoulder as she said softly, "It's okay. I'll finish them."

I would never want to disappoint any of them in this house. By seeing mom was giving me a bright and hopeful smile, for not disappointed her as I smiled at her, "I'll try, mom."