T W E N T Y - T W O

A steady pep tone wakes me up

A steady pep tone wakes me up. Slowly I open my tired eyes. What the fuck? I try to get up but the intense pain on my back stops me. I remember what happened, tears running down my cheeks immediately.

"Carlos?", I whisper, not able to see anything

My chest aches painfully. Why isn't he here? I mean why isn't he waiting for me to wake up? He said he wouldn't leave me again.

I want to see his face. I want to feel his kisses. I want to hear his voice, telling me how much he loves me. I just want him with me. I need him with me.

I push a button to call a nurse. There are heavy foot steps and the door opens seconds later.

"Oh my Mr Cruz, you're awake? I'm glad. Do you need some pain killer? The effect may be over already"

"Yes please, the pain is intense"

"Oh dear, one moment please", she says nicely

I wipe my tears away and try not to remember. I don't want to remember the last day. Not even a second. I want to forget it. I don't want to think about it all the time but the feeling I had, when I was laying on the ground covered in my own blood, the intense pain and Carlos screams, this was the cruelest feeling I've ever had. I shake my head to remove those thoughts and feelings.

"The pain should be gone in a few minutes. Do you need something else?", the nurse asks

"No, thank you. By any change do you know if someone visited me?"

"Uhm I just saw a guy coming half an hour before you were done with the operation"

"When did he left?"

"Two hours later I think"

"Okay, thank you", I whisper, trying to hold my tears back

"You're welcome. If you need anything push the button", she smiles

I nod, not able to speak. Where is he? Where did he go?

No, I'm just overthinking. He'll come. Maybe he has some business and asked someone to tell him if I woke up.

I close my eyes as I feel the effect of the pain killer. Now I can rest and give Carlos some time to finish his business. I snuggle into the pillow and try to think about something else.

After hours of trying to sleep, I give up. These thoughts keep me awake, not letting me rest. They haunt me like a nightmare.

I try to stand up, ignoring the recurrent pain and pull those cables off my hands. God I need to pee. I walk to the bathroom and realize I'm in a private room. I grin. This is Carlos work.

As I walk out of the bathroom, I see a letter on a small cupboard next to the bed.

What's this? My name is written on it. From whom?