E I G H T E E N

Eight years ago

Eight years ago

"Feliz cumpleaños, hijo mío"
("Happy birthday, my son")

"Gracias mamá", I smile

I see a cake on the kitchen table. I love birthdays! Especially my birthdays!

"¡Mi hermano pequeño por fin tiene 13 años! Feliz Cumpleaños", my sister yells laughing

("My brother is now 13 years old! Happy birthday")

"Gracias", I roll my eyes annoyed

I'm so happy that we're moving to the U.S.A. We'll live in Chicago. Across from father. He called me a faggot weeks ago and just beat the shit out of me. I mean I don't really know anything about love or sex but it's just that I like boys more than girls. He told me I'm obsessed from a bad ghost and that I'm sick but I don't know what what's wrong with liking boys? I don't understand why he's so mad at me. Why he hates me.

As mamá cuts the cake the door rings. Who's that?

"Abre la puerta, hijo. Tal vez sean los vecinos"
("Open the door, son. Maybe it's the neighbors")

"Sí mamá"

I open the door and freeze as I see papá. I run back to the kitchen and hide behind mamá.

"¿Quieres abandonar el país?", papá asks angrily
("You want to leave the country?")

"Sí"   

"¡Te quedarás aquí!"
("You'll stay here!")

"Vete de aqui", mamá says
("Get out of here")

"¡Te vas a quedar aquí!"
("You're staying here!")

"Juanita llama a la policía"
("Juanita call the police")

"¡Todo es tu culpa, maricón!", papá yells at me
(It's all your fault, you faggot!")

"No, papá", I whine

"Vete de aquí", mamá yells
("Get out of here")

After the police came, my papá got arested. A few days after that we flew to the U.S.A. I thought everything would be fine until my papá called mamá. Not a month after the call mamá and my hermana left me. I got into an orphanage. Never into a family. I lived there until I was eighteen. It was okay but the fact that they left me because of my father, broke me.

It's my birthday and today I can move out of the orphanage. I'm free now. Free and alone but it's okay. I have an interview in one of the biggest clubs in Chicago. The Dream's. And after I work a few months I can life in a better apartment. The kids, after they move out of the orphanage, have to live in some 'special' apartments for those cases. Because no one has money after they move out.

Just a few months and I can live in a better apartment. I hope they'll hire me. I'll work hard to live better than I lived my whole life and maybe I'll find some hot man.