Vol. 5 Chapter 9 Everything is nothing

Start from the beginning

"You know what. Your class is really changed."

"Really? Why do you know?"

"The student council is interested in every class. And I have to say. Your class won't be changed this much without help from a genius."

"Don't you think that genius is your sister? " I extended my hand, waiting for the stick from Horikita.

"No. "

Class 3-A's runner and Horikita Suzune reached us at the same time.

"She isn't a genius..." The president took the stick from his classmate. "Although she almost is."

"You sick Siscon. " I mumbled and grabbed the stick from Horikita and looked at her face. "I will take it from...Shit."

Shit

Shit

Shit

My old enemy.

A spider is crawling in the stick.

That damn spider!!

"Oh. May you take this kid to the finish line too? I find him crawling on the lane, and I'm afraid that someone will step on him. So I help him..."

I didn't know what on earth was the inspiration to Horikita to become a mercy angel without any context. And I didn't have time to ask too. Because as soon as I saw that thing. I started running maniacally.

I had to run away from that monster!

But no matter how fast I ran. That monster was still stuck in my hand. It was very fast.

Wait. It was in the stick that I held, wasn't it?

What should I do then?

I knew! I just had to finish running and I could put the stick down. Then, I will survive from this beast!

So I ran, ran, and ran. I saw only the finish line. I didn't feel the wind touching my face, the surprise on the runner that I passed, or the cheering from audiences.

I had to run, run, and run. And then, I reached the finish line.

I threw the stick on the floor, gasped with tiredness, and realized that I should throw it away since I was in the lane.

And how was the spider in the running lane in the first place?

I shook my head and looked back to the lane, wondering which place we got?

And then, I saw the most surprising view.

Nagumo, Cho, and the president ran toward the finish line, being shocked that I reached the line before them.

"And the first place is..."  Fujimaki announced. "Class 1-C!!!!!"

...

"I know it! I know it! Ayanokouji-Kun is the best!!" If Mori didn't brace her, Sato might hug me.

"It's just a coincidence though. " I mumbled but no one listened.

I was surrounded by the crown of class C praising me. I felt guilty for other runners. But Hirata just smiled and thumped up to me and Sudo looked satisfied that he chose the right one.

"Hey. They are about to announce the result. " Yamauchi yelled.

We turned our face to the big electric board beyond the yard.

"And the winner is-------"

I grabbed my fist with excitement.

"The white team!!"