49. Petey, I Need You

The day-before-pep-rally for the Winter Formal finally got here. It was a high school only thing whereas normal pep rallies were school wide. Tay has made us practice for a lot of hours and I'm pretty sure I sing and dance in my sleep now. She really does have me whipped.

It's getting closer and closer to time and my stomach is starting to feel queasy. Basketball in front of a whole bunch of people is nothing compared to singing and dancing in front of a gym full of people. I don't know how Tay does it with how shy she is. She puts on a good show in front of people but she's an introvert through and through. She tells me sometimes that being around people is exhausting and she needs to be totally alone to recharge.

She's helping me put on my outfit she picked out. It would be the same one for both of our things since there wasn't enough time to change. We were in front for the basketball player/cheerleader dance. It was nice jeans and a nice shirt. I had to wear tennis shoes which threw the look off a bit but it was better than falling or dropping her.

"I wanna be your endgame," she said before kissing me gently.

After she finally got me into my clothes, she touched up her and went to the stage part of the gym. The stage was small and mostly used for homecoming and the sound system. She got her microphone attached to her ear. People were starting to stream in. The thing started at 10 AM and it was currently 9:45. Her squad was warming up and she started to stress.

"Hey, it's ok. You're going to be awesome. You always are," I brought her in for a hug and kissed the top of her head.

"This is my first solo event. Do you what I had to do to get permission for this?"

My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped.

"What?" she asked, confused, "Oh wait, not like that."

"I was about to say..." I trailed off.

"I usually don't have to threaten anyone to get what I want, usually I just charm. Mr. Mayfield wasn't as easily persuaded. If anything goes wrong, we'll never have another one again. Then, he'll probably hold a grudge against me for what I said," she groaned into my chest.

"It'll be ok. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be on my best behavior," I gave her a goofy grin and held up my right hand.

She kissed my palm and said, "You better."

"I might even help you," I replied, still grinning.

"I'll take you up on that. Jaelynn is so far up Grant's butt, that she won't be of help. I hate to say that about her but goodness. I'm around you a lot and I still have a life outside of you. Just like you have a life outside of me."

"Yeah," I agreed halfheartedly.

She might have a social life outside of me but I didn't have much of one outside of her. I have basketball, church, and going to Leena's. Those are the only things I do anymore without her. Even then it's like she's there with me since I can't stop thinking about her.

The basketball team and I helped Tay finish setting up the court how she wanted. She wasn't kidding when she said solo event. There was not a single teacher helping her with anything. Once everything was where she wanted it to be, Kya's dad turned on her mic.

"Hey everyone. Welcome to what is hopefully the first annual Winter Formal pep rally. On behalf of students, faculty, and administrators, we'd like to thank you for coming out. We have several talented folks who have come to put on a show for y'all, so I hope you enjoy. There is popcorn, soda, and other concessions located at the end of the hall to the left. Now without further ado, Katie Conmins covering Without Me- Halsey!"