38. Porch Swing Angel

"I've been busy," so I'm a coward. It's pretty cool.

She gave me a blank stare. We continued to stare at each other for a solid 2 minutes before she said anything.

"You know what, Peter, so was I. Between choreographing three new dances for upcoming events, practicing for a Christmas play I'm in, worrying about your birthday, which you didn't tell me was coming up, and working on my college classes, I was kinda busy too. I still tried to find time for you. I still put in the effort, Peter. This whole week, you have made crap excuses not to be around me, and that's perfectly fine. If you don't wanna hang out, it's ok. But maybe try saying something like 'Hey, I need some space'. I can respect that but when I don't know why you're ignoring me, it drives me a little nuts. I have always hated those relationships when only one person puts in the work, and the other one doesn't communicate. I refuse to be in one, so you better figure whatever the issue is," she went on an angry rant, scaring the hell outta me. Her hands were flying in every direction, and her nose and cheeks were rosy.

I took a deep breath.

And then another one.

"There is something that I've been trying to process this week," I began.

I heard her let a disappointed sigh under her breath.

"What?" I asked.

"It's just that you could've said something literally any day this week. We could've solved this days ago," she rolled her eyes.

"Well, I've been trying to tell myself it's nothing, but it seems like something. So the night of Homecoming, you fell asleep, and I carried you in. Carter told me to check your alarm and make sure it's set. I did, and as I was turning it off, and I accidentally clicked the phone button. Dylan's name happened to catch my eye. I got jealous and looked at the call's information. It said that you talked on the phone for more than an hour. I have been trying all week to tell myself that it was nothing," I told her.

"So instead of asking me about it, you jumped to conclusions?" she laughed a little.

"Yeah," I rubbed the back of my neck.

She grabbed my hand, "Darling, that call meant something but not in the way that you think. What I'm about to tell you, you can never repeat. You won't ever talk about it again. I am trusting you with somebody's secret, and he won't mind if I tell you, as long as you never talk about it again," she stressed the importance of keeping this secret.

"I won't ever repeat it," I stuck out my pinky, knowing that pinky promises were important to Taylen.

She locked her pinky with mine and took a deep breath, "Dylan has been battling some demons in his life. He called me that night, sobbing. He said he just wanted it to be over. I stayed on the phone with him and let him talk it all out. He knew I would listen to him and just be there for him, and that's why he called me and not someone else. I told him that he was welcome to call me for something like that anytime."

"Oh," I replied lamely.

"See, it wasn't me talking to my ex for over an hour. It was listening to a friend who had a lot going on. Besides that, exes are exes for a reason, or at least mine are. I have never dated anyone twice," she said.

"Good to know."

We walked a little further, catching each other up about our week. I really should've just asked her about it to begin with and saved both a headache. We were fixing to turn around when it started to rain.

"Oh my goodness, it's cold," Tay squealed.

"Come here," I grabbed her hands and brought them to my shoulders, and took mine to her waist.

"Sing us a song," I whispered in her ear.

"Like what?" she asked.

"What about the one you were humming to yourself in the hallway yesterday?"

"Okay," and she started softly.

"Dontchu put on that makeup, we ain't goin nowhere. Let's just sit on this porch swing, we cant take it from there. It's the sound of the chainlinks as we rock till it's night, and we can watch as the sun goes down in hopes of holding you tight," she sang quietly as we danced around in the rain.

When she got to the chorus, I joined in, "And be my porch swing angel, got my heartstrings tangled. Got those eyes that'll bring you to your knees. It's her smile like Sunday, been a while but one day. Yeah, that girl she's the only thing I need."

"Want to tell her how I feel, but I don't want to scare her away. We've been friends for a long time, I don't want to change that today, but I'm sick of fighting these feelings, 'Cause I ain't slept in days. I'm tired of hanging on this limb, 'Cause I can't find the right words to say. Except, be my porch swing angel. Got my heartstrings tangled. Got those eyes that will bring you to your knees. It's her smile like Sundays. Been a while but one day. Yeah, that girl, she's the only thing I need. Be my porch swing angel. Got my heartstrings tangled. Got those eyes that will bring you to your knees. Won't you be my porch swing angel? Got my heartstrings tangled. Got those eyes that will bring you to your knees. It's her smile like Sundays. Been a while, but one day. Yeah, that girl, she's the only thing I need. Yeah, that girl, she's the only thing I need."

We finished the song, and I looked deep into her eyes. The feelings I had been feeling for her grew even deeper. I put my fingers under her chin and tilted her face up to mine.

"Taylen," I started but didn't finish. I brought my lips to hers.

A/N: I posted the first chapter of another story so you totally check it out. *smirks in your direction*