13. Laundry

It's ten thirty-three, and I am bored. I get out from under the covers and begin tidying my room. I take down my laundry and go ahead and start a load. I have never done laundry, but I have watched Mom a few times, so we can hope for the best. I fill the washer as full as it could go. It was then that I realized I haven't brought my laundry down in a while. I put an entire cap of soap in. I close it and hit start.

I walk back up to my room and get all the trash. There is not much. Just a few empty chip bags, a few more than a few soda cans, and I don't even want to know how many water bottles and Gatorade. After I get all that taken care of, I pick up my random stuff that is just lying around.

It takes me about an hour to finish it. I'm finally tired now. I turn out the lights and lay back down. After five minutes of lying there, I am not tired. With a groan, I sit up. I get my phone off the charger and go downstairs. When I was little and was missing my parents, Momma would make me warm vanilla milk.

As I walk into the kitchen, I jump. Mom was sitting at the bar in the dark.

"Why are you up?" I ask her.

She looks at me with sad eyes."Are you happy, Peter?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"Just answer the question," she replies shortly.

"Yeah."

"Really?" she asks me as if she doesn't believe me.

"Mom, what are you going on about?" I'm beginning to get worried.

"Never mind, darling."

She stands up and walks to the fridge. Mom grabs the milk out and pours some in a bowl, puts a little vanilla in it. She looks at me and smiles. Sometimes I think this lady can read my mind. She puts it in the microwave for one minute and walks over to me.

"Your parents want to go to court for custody," she says quietly, " they really want you back."

"Well, that's too bad, ain't it? I didn't start living with you guys because I wanted to. I have always felt like an imposition. You didn't choose this. You did not choose for me to live with you guys. I was left here because I was an imposition on my parents. It wasn't until I found out that y'all adopted me, that I realized that you wanted me. It wasn't even anything any of you did that made me feel like an outsider. I didn't fit in with the family. My own parents didn't want me so why would y'all? I was always in trouble. I was never good enough for them. I did my best, I swear. I was never smart enough or fast enough. My grades were As but I 'could've done better'. I am done with them." By the time I am done, I am yelling.

Mom is in tears. Hearing all the commotion, everyone comes into the kitchen, all in just their underwear. Mom is the only one who is decently clothed. As they walk in, Mom shoos them away. She brings me into a hug. I hug her back and kiss her hair.

"You're perfect, baby. Sure, you make mistakes, but so does everyone else. I'm sorry that you ever felt that way," Mom says, still crying.

It's breaking my heart to see her like this. I got over it a long time ago, but she is just now coming to realize my years of pain. I have always been good at masking my emotions but knowing Mom, she is blaming herself for never seeing it.

We stay in the embrace for over five minutes. I pet Mom's hair and kiss her head occasionally. She lets out a quiet sob. All three brothers come in at the same time Dad does. They must've been listening. They wrap their arms around both of us. We stood there for a really long time. It's the middle of the night, it's dark, and we're mending the brokenness.

When we break apart, everyone wipes their eyes. Mom kisses my cheek.

"Go to bed, boys. Goodnight, love you."

We all head up the stairs. Bryson and Auston share a room, and Mason and I have our own. Before I walk into my room, someone grabs my wrist. I'm pulled into yet another group hug. It only lasts for a few seconds.

Mason kisses my head, "Love you, baby bro."

Auston messes with my hair, " Love ya, little dude."

Bryson holds his hand out for me to do our handshake, "I love ya."

"I love y'all too."

I climb in bed, and I am out like a light. The next morning, instead of waking up to my alarm, I woke up to Mom gently shaking me and whispering in my ear.

"It's time to wake up, baby boy"

"Go away," I groan.

She laughs at that and begins rubbing my back, "C'mon, you got school. We let you sleep in. You skipped first and it's the second hour now."

"Fine."

"I picked out your clothes. They're sitting on the desk. Hurry up and get ready or you're going to be late."

"Yes ma'am."

She goes out of my room, and I get up. I look at what she picked out for me. She picked jeans and a dark red shirt. I don't have a home game today, so I don't know why she picked jeans. I'm not gonna argue though.

I go get in the shower. I take a lot longer than usual. When I get out, I put on the clothes Mom wanted me to. I brush my teeth and wash my face. I slip on my shoes and grab my things. I walk down the stairs slowly. Mom is in the kitchen doing dishes and cleaning the counters.

"Good morning, love," she says, walking over to the stove. She hands me a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar on top. I kiss her cheek and sit at the bar.

"How are you feeling this morning?" she asks carefully.

"I'm fine," I reply.

She looks at me hard.

She walks into the laundry room and shrieks.

"Peter Grayson Harris, get your ass in here!" She calls. Uh oh.

"Yes ma'am?"

"What did you do?" she questions, pointing at the mess on the floor.

I start laughing. She stomps over to me and smacks my butt three times. That sobers me up, I instantly stop laughing.

"Ow!" I complain.

It actually stings a bit. I put my hand over my butt, so she doesn't hit it again. She has never just popped me so hard. Playful smacks and love taps every now and again, but that hurts!

"Peter Grayson, now is not the time. What did you do?!?"

"My laundry?" It came out like a question.

"I can see that. How did you try to do your laundry?"

"I put all my clothes in the washer, put in a lip of soap, and hit start," I explain.

"How full was the washer?"

"All the way."

"Oh my goodness, Jesus help you. You don't fill it to the top, ya goof. Tonight when you get home, I'm showing you how to do laundry. The other boys too."

"Yes ma'am."

"I'm going to clean up your mess. Have a good day at school," she says as she rolls her eyes.

She starts laughing.

"What are you laughing at?" I ask her.

"Did that actually hurt?"

"What? Oh yes! I am going to be surprised if I can sit comfortably today."

She starts laughing again, and I join her.

"I might have to start doing that."

My eyes get wide. I hug her, and walk out the door.

I walk to my truck in a good mood. If I make good time, I'll get there right as break begins.