21. Brought up Old Memories

"Good morning, Peanut," Mom said as she tried to shake me awake.

"Mmm," I groaned in response.

"Peter," Mom said impatiently.

"Ugh, what do you want? It's 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday."

"I want you to tell me about your date," she excitedly said, clapping her hands.

"Can't you wait? I'm not ready to wake up yet," I mumbled, already half asleep.

"Fine," Mom walked out of my room, and I began to feel bad.

I climbed out of bed and slipped on a pair of shorts but left my chest bare. I brushed my teeth and went downstairs. Mom was obviously surprised by my appearance since I was rude to her about waking me up.

"I'm sorry, Mom."

"I'm sorry I woke you up. I figured you would be awake already."

"It's alright," I hugged her.

We sat in silence while Mom stared at me like she was waiting on something. Finally, she spoke, "Will you tell me now, or do you enjoy torturing your mother?"

So that's what she was waiting for. "I swear, boys are clueless," she mumbled, almost too low for me to hear.

I gave her an offended look. I'm in a slightly bad mood. She continued to stare at me, so I recounted our entire night.

"...and then I asked her to be my girlfriend, and she said yes!" I concluded.

Mom squealed and started smiling a lot. "Yay! I'm so happy for you, and I'm excited to properly meet her tonight."

"Wait, what? Tonight?"

"Oh yeah, Jason is having us over," she told me.

"Damn, that would have been nice to know, Mom," I snapped and went back upstairs before she could say anything else.

I took a shower and got dressed for the day. I chose a pair of black and red shorts with a white t-shirt. I heard Mom banging pots around, and for some reason, it irritated me a lot.

I went downstairs to the living room and plopped down on the couch with a huff.

"What's wrong with you?" Dad asked, concerned.

"Nothing," I replied shortly.

He looked at me disbelieving but wisely let it go. I sat on the couch with my arms crossed, glaring at the wall. I don't know why I'm in such a mood. I just got my dream girl to be my girl. What's wrong with me?

"Breakfast!" Mom called, "Peter, go get Bryson up."

"I don't want to," I snapped.

"I don't care, do it anyway," she snapped back.

I glared at Mom hard. She stared right back.

"Why do I have to do everything?!?" I complained loudly.

"JUST DO AS YOU'RE TOLD!" Mom yelled.

She hardly ever gets onto me, let alone yells at me. I immediately backed down, not wanting to

deal with it this morning. I stomped off to Auston and Bryson's room.

Bryson was sitting up and rubbing his eyes to adjust them to the light when I walked in.

"What was all the yelling about?" he questioned.

"Nothing."

"It was obviously something," he mumbled.