Ch.17: What Are Friends for? {Part One}

Start from the beginning

"You're dragging that poor guy to that Shitlock museum! Geez, have a heart, Aria," I heard someone say mockingly. I rolled my eyes and turned around to see that it was Jacob. Surprise, surprise...

"You're just jealous because that egg-head doesn't have a museum of his own."

Joey sighed as he face-palmed himself. Rayne and Jeremy glanced at each other with a huff, and Christian stared intensely at Jacob.

"I'm just really concerned about your friend. I'm afraid he would vomit after seeing the shit that museum has," his lips spread in a cheeky grin.

I was about to retort when Joey grabbed my arm and pulled me away. "I don't want to hear another stupid fight about who's the better detective. Clearly, it's Batman. Now, let's go."

"This is not over, Poirot!" I hissed at him, raising a threatening finger.

"Bring it on, Holmes!"

I huffed, sat on my seat, and opened my Sherlock Holmes book, A Scandal in Bohemia. A book I have read ten times, but it's one of my favorites because Irene Adler appears in it.

Mr. Monkey Head finally showed up, so I quickly placed my book inside my English one so I could read it without him knowing. As usual, I didn't pay attention and read my book. The whole class settled in their seats as he started teaching.

After class was over, it was time for lunch, so I picked up my brown bag that had a turkey sandwich in it. Of course, Jeremy was the one that made it because he refused to let me do anything in the kitchen. It's not my fault I almost destroyed the microwave.

"Hey, are you going to sit with us at lunch?" Joey asked, and I shook my head.

"No, not today. Sorry," I said.

He shrugged, and I walked outside the classroom, looking for the person I wanted to talk to. Luckily, my eyes landed on her.

"Lena!" I called out.

She turned around with a raised, thin eyebrow. "What do you want?"

She clearly seemed like she didn't want to talk to me. "Um...err...I thought that maybe we could have lunch together?"

I couldn't take my mind off what she said that other day. And I made it my mission to try to make her feel comfortable enough around us.

"No, thanks, I like eating alone," she replied.

She was about to walk away when I stopped her by grabbing her arm. She glared at my hand, which made me immediately let go. "But the cafeteria is this way," I said, pointing my finger to my left.

"I'm going to the greenhouse."

"But-"

"Leave me alone, Ariana!" she snapped, and with that, she walked away.

It puzzled me. She looked so isolated from us. I know that Christian is distant too, but at least he sits with us at lunch. But Lena is different. We lived with her in the same house, yet she was always in her room. She only says good morning when we gather at the greenhouse, and then she sits in her seat, not uttering a word. At least, Christian talks to us. But I wanted to be close to her, and I didn't want her to feel left out.

And it's not just that. Sometimes, I notice that Jeremy always stares at her. His eyes go soft when he sees her, and he blushes like crazy. He reminds me a lot of myself. I wonder if he has a crush on her?

I sighed, turning around and walking my way to the cafeteria. When I got there, the guys were already having lunch. Joey and Max were having a food fight, Jeremy and Christian were watching while Rayne told them to behave.