Chapter 19

Today felt like the hottest day all summer none of the cabins or buildings have air conditioning to beat out this brutal heat

Today felt like the hottest day all summer none of the cabins or buildings have air conditioning to beat out this brutal heat. "I feel like I'm dying" Annie said fanning herself. "Me too" Becky said.

Everyone was complaining about the heat at breakfast. Joan went to the front for announcements " hi, I know everyone is hot today it's a beautiful hot summer day. Today's art and crafts activity is tie dying shirts. You can make one like I have on. Only two people on the kayaks today for 15 minutes at a time. I have a feeling a lot of you are gonna be in the lake today don't forget to put on sunscreen, sunburns look like they don't hurt but they do. You can get sunscreen from nurse Lane if you don't have any of your own. If you get lightheaded get in the shade or get a ice pack from nurse Lane heatstroke is not a fun time kiddos. It's important to stay hydrated you gonna have to drink a lot more water than usual grab a water before you leave the mess hall. Most importantly have fun!".

Everyone had the same idea about going to the lake. Everyone is walking around in their bathing suits " what do you guys want to do first?" Will asked. "Let's do the kayak's" a shadysider was about to get in one. "Get off shadyside trash!" Shoving the young boy to the plywood dock. "You guys go first" Will and I watched them go out. Ziggy and Regan were laying towels down by the edge of the water each had a book in their hand " I got us a frisbee" Will said. They put on sunscreen Regan handed Ziggy the bottle moving her hair over her shoulder as Ziggy started rubbing sunscreen onto her back and shoulders. I threw the frisbee hard in their direction hitting Ziggy in the back of the head. They turned around and looked at me " opps, my bad!" They talked but I couldn't hear them. Regan threw the frisbee back to me without saying anything. It was an accident I didn't mean it or did I nobody could touch her that way except for me.

I started to get overheated and the cold water of the lake started to call my name. Regan went out on the kayaks I dive into the cooling water " how do you steer this thing?" Regan called out to Ziggy. "You paddle left if you want to go left, right if you want to go right, and both if you want to go straight!" Ziggy was ahead of Regan. I swam towards Regan who was a couple of yards ahead of me. When I got close she didn't notice me I grabbed a hold of the kayak and flipped it over. She let out a quick scream before plummeting into the water. I went underwater grabbing her arm pulling her to under the kayak where the seat was giving us a air pocket. Regan coughed harshly, gasping for air moving her now wet hair from her eyes " you got water up my nose" she said still coughing and trying to catch her breath. "That's what you get for letting that witch touch you like that" I said. "Don't call her that and she was putting sunscreen where I couldn't reach it. What was I suppose to do call your name and ask you?" I did want her to ask me seems like I was always her second choice. She always went to the Berman sisters first " I know you didn't throw that frisbee at us by accident. I'm not stupid" I stayed quiet. "You're jealous of her" my eyes met hers. "I'm not jealous of Ziggy Berman. I just didn't like the way she touched you that's all" I defended. "And I didn't like that Will had his hands all over you and kissing your cheek last week. You didn't see me throwing things at him did you"I put my head down in shame. "I know this hasn't turned out the way that we have planned. I only love you soulmate" kissing my cheek. "Now act mean" Ziggy flipped the kayak right side up. "Fuck off Sheila. Leave her alone!" Holding the kayak still so, Regan can get back on. "She looked hot. So, I thought she needed some cooling down" she is hot in my defense. "You alright, Regan?" Ziggy asked concernedly. "A little bit of water won't hurt her" they paddled off. I swam back to shore " you got her good" Will said proudly. "Let's tie dye some shirts" changing the subject.

Joan was teaching us how to make tie dye shirts. She's so positive and happy all the time she must be high or insane " you wrap the rubber band around the shirt. Scrunch the shirt up like a ball. We want it to be two colors not one big blob" Joan said walking around checking on everyone's shirts to see if they did it correctly. I decided to make Regan the tie dye shirt as an apology. I didn't mean to make her feel bad " now everyone pick two colors and put it all over the shirt" picking teal Regans favorite color and a dark navy blue. "You hate the color blue" Will said. "I'm trying to expand my horizons" I mumbled. " Okay" he said weirdly. He did his shirt red and black cause they are masculine colors " now everyone take out the rubber and and unravel the shirt" the little kids gasped in shock. "Now they did to dry, make a line, and I'll hang it up on the clothes line" Will and I got to the back of the line. "Very nice job, Sheila" Joan commented. I rolled my eyes not saying a single word.

After dinner I went to take a shower my skin was sticky with sweat and my hair smelled like gross lake water. I rubbed the shampoo onto my scalp and proceeded to clean the rest of my body turning off the water wrapping a towel around me. The mirror was all fogged up from the steam of the hot water wiping the mirror with my hand red smeared where I touched it. I looked down to see my hands bright red like blood wiping the mirror with the towel. I was bright red from head to toe it's in my hair and all over my body " looks like Carrie just got home from the prom" Ziggy laughed standing in the doorway. She was by herself " you won't get away with this witch" I growled. "A little paint won't hurt you".