Chapter 18

The bell went off for dinner sitting at our usual table Gary and Nick went to the front

The bell went off for dinner sitting at our usual table Gary and Nick went to the front. Everyone quieted down paying attention to the two teenage boys " we made it through the first week of camp!" everyone clapped and cheered. " Is everyone having the time of their lives?" everyone cheered even louder. " To celebrate getting through this week. We're gonna have a dance right here in the mess hall" everyone gasped in excitement. " We want everyone to dress up and look their very best. After dinner get ready and we'll ring the bell for you" Gary sat back at our table. " A dance this should be fun. I've never been to a dance before" I can't wait to see what Sheila looks like maybe we can sneak in a dance. " We have to start cleaning the mess hall immediately after everyone leaves. We have to move all the tables, clean the floors, get the punch bowl and snacks ready" Cindy rambled. Tommy stopped her " don't worry babe. We'll get the mess hall ready in time" wrapping his arms around Cindy kissing her cheek. " Arnie and I would love to help but we have other planned" laughing putting their hands all over each other. Do they have to be so bold about it like there is little kids here " we have to get everything ready for the dance" Cindy explained. " No, we've been doing shit jobs all summer" Alice said. " I'm sorry but we don't have a choice" why did you sign up to be a camp counselor if you aren't gonna do the work. " Shit" Arnie whispered. " This is our last one, babe" handing Alice a joint. " This isn't funny. We have a job to do. Alice put that down" Cindy demanded. " Or what? what, you gonna snitch on me again?. Okay, what if you go talk to your little friend nurse Lane. About getting us some yellow jackets or some red birds. And then then we'll do whatever you want" Alice said. " Yellow jackets, red . . . what?" Arnie interrupted her. " Drugs baby drugs. Just hook us up" Cindy shook her head. " No. No, I won't do that!" Alice sighs. " Some people want to do things with their lives. So stop screwing with mine and just do your jobs, please!" Cindy said angrily. " You denied our request you guys are on your own, snitch" they walked away giggling. Cindy looks like she's about to cry " don't worry Cindy. Ziggy and I will help" Cindy gave me a soft smile. " We are?" Ziggy asked. " Yes, your sister needs our help. We'll help out when we're done getting ready".

" Why, is Alice so hung up about Cindy snitching on her? it happened so long ago. She should be over it by now don't you think?" looking through all my clothes. " I don't know. All she cares about is drugs and sex. Alice can hold a grudge she'll get over it someday hopefully. Cindy plans on getting out of shadyside for college. So, they don't have to deal with each other much longer I didn't really pack anything nice. I don't think a tang top and shorts are really dancing attire" Ziggy isn't really the dressy type. She likes to be comfortable and causal " you can borrow anything of mine" she thanked me. I picked out a plaid skirt and long sleeve white shirt and Ziggy picked out flare pants and a polka dot shirt. " Can you do my hair? I want two braids" Ziggy asked. " Sure" I brushed out her fiery red hair leaving a couple of hairs out to frame her face. I did my hair half up half down with my natural waves going down over my shoulders. We retouched our makeup instead on putting on regular chapstick we put on red lipstick. Pleased with the way that we looked we walked to the mess hall to help set it up for the dance. Tommy, Gary, Kurt, and Nick were moving tables against the wall to make room and hanging streamers from the beams. Joan was getting food and drinks from the kitchen while Cindy was on her hands and knees scrubbing the wooden floors with a sponge. " You guys look so pretty" Joan said happily giving us both a hug. " Thanks, what do you guys want us to do?" Cindy stood up moving her hair out of her damp face. " We're pretty much done. You can set the snack and punch table. Joan let's get ready" everyone left to get ready. Ziggy and I set up the table by the time we were done everyone came back " the table looks great. Thanks for your help, Nick you can ring the bell to alert the campers" Joan told Nick. " Oh, music!" Cindy panicked. " Got you covered, babe" holding up a cassette tape. " You're a lifesaver" they kissed making Ziggy and I gag.

Campers came in starting to get crowded that I could barely see the double doors. My heart stopped when she walked into the room she wore a black cherry dress her long dark hair curled at the bottom her lips a purple color. She wore eyeliner that made her blue eyes pop. She looked drop dead gorgeous her eyes scanned the room went it met with mine she gave me a smile " what are you looking at?" Ziggy asked breaking me out of my trance. " Nothing" Sheila disappeared into the crowd. " Let's dance" grabbing my hand pulling me to the dance floor. Ziggy spun me around I spotted Sheila dancing with Becky and Annie. We slowly traveled in their direction I spun Ziggy and she dipped me at the end of the song. Everyone was having a good time not caring if a shadysider or sunnyvaler is next to them. Everyone's happy dancing to the music " I'm gonna get a drink!" I yelled over the music. " Okay" Sheila and I had our eye on each other. I went towards the punch bowl pouring myself a drink " you look beautiful" Sheila whispered. " Have you looked in the mirror. I swear I almost passed out when I saw you" she blushed turning away. " You having fun?" taking a sip of punch. " Not as much as I would be if I was dancing with you" we both wish we can dance with each other on the dance floor in front of everyone but that's suicide. " I'll save a dance specially for you" Y.M.C.A starts to play and everyone got all pumped up. Ziggy didn't even notice that Sheila was next to me dancing everyone knew the dance and all the words to the song. We danced and sung in sync like we all practiced before hand Why, couldn't everyday be like this. Everyone is getting along no one cared where you live, rich or poor how nice everything will be if everyone acted like this everyday. Hopelessly devoted to you started to play Ziggy went to sit down to have a break. Sheila went outside " I have to go to the outhouse".

I walked behind the mess hall to see Sheila waiting for me " you said you'll save a dance specially for me. Baby, would you join me to this dance" holding out her hand. " You're such a goof" she pulled me against her chest. " I've been thinking about something about you staying in my cabin. I think I can bribe Kurt about letting you and the girls switch cabins. After what happened with you the other night I can't sleep knowing that you are fighting what's in your head. It keeps me up at night" did I really scare her that bad. " I'm Ziggy's only friend even if we did bribe Kurt and switch cabins it'll be a disaster waiting to happen. Plus won't it be kind of suspicious that out of the bloom I move into your cabin? we're suppose to be enemies".

" But we're not. We're soulmates and I want to spend time with you without looking behind my back".

" One day we won't have to look behind our backs anymore. Remember when we saw Grease that was the first time you held my hand without falling on your ass".

" Yeah, I was so nervous that I felt sick. You were so calm" I chuckled.

" I was nervous just like how you were. I can just hide my emotions better then later you pushed me into the pool" her head tilted back in laughter.

" You almost gave me a heart attack. I really thought you couldn't swim then I saw you floating peacefully on your back while I was freaking out".

"How long did you wanted to kiss me was it before the dare?".

" I always knew that you were special since the first day I met you. I started liking you when we went to the mall. I want to kiss you since then.You really helped me find myself I used to be ashamed about this side of myself. I just thought you wouldn't chicken out of the dare that's why I asked".

" You didn't know that I wanted it just the same. Truth or dare?".

" Dare".

" I dare you to kiss me".