chapter 7

I grabbed my journal from under my mattress sitting on my bed ' Dear Diary, it's been a while I haven't written in here since the day I met Regan funny enough she moved down the street from me. She's so much fun, she knows herself so well while I don't she's been helping me with that, helping me getting out of my mother's suffocating grasp. We do almost everything together we go to the mall, hang out at each others houses, and last night we went to the roller rink. She was really upset over something she's not comfortable sharing with me yet. There's so much I don't know about her like why she came to Sunnyvale when she never knew her dad before then, why she hates her dad, and most importantly why she makes me feel things I never felt before. Last night when we went to the roller rink when she wrapped her arms around me or held my hand makes my heart beat out of my chest. I like it when she holds my hand I can't feel these feelings not with a girl. I can't like Regan like that'.

My door busted open Regan belly flops onto my bed " holy shit Regan don't do that!" quickly closing my notebook. " You writing about me?" did she see what I wrote before I closed it. " I-I" Regan chuckled. " I'm teasing you" It's okay Sheila. She didn't see anything I thought to myself trying to calm myself down. " What you writing about?" Regan asked, resting her head on my lap. " Nothing important. My legs are so sore from last night" running my fingers through her soft and silky hair. " Mine too. You're lucky I like you cause it caused me pain to walk over here" she likes me. Of course she likes me I'm her friend just her friend. " You want to go to the movies? we'll just be sitting and stuffing our faces. Jaws two just came out or Grease looks good too".

" You had me at stuffing our faces. You have a bag I can borrow?".

" On the top shelf in the closet, why do you need it?".

" To buy soda and candy at the liquor store. Movie theater food is double the price when you can buy the same thing at the liquor store cheaper. All you buy at the movie theaters is popcorn and the tickets. Now get changed out of your pj's" I looked down at my white tang top and shorts. 

" Where you headed off to?" mother asked taking a hit of her cigarette. 

" We're going to the movies".

" Okay, your daddy and I are going out to dinner and dancing tonight. so, we'll be gone when you get home. I'll leave money on the counter for you" we said our goodbyes.

We rode my bike to the liquor store and filled the bag with soda and candy " what movie do you want to see?" Regan asked.

" Grease, that good with you?" pulling up to the movie theater.

" Yeah, I'll get in line" I locked up my bike to the bike rack to spot Regan by the entrance door. We got our popcorn " we missed the commercials" we sat at the top corner of the theater since it was so full. " Here's your candy" the open scene starts to play. 

I took a handful of popcorn and ate it Regan swayed to the music when the musical numbers played. As the musical went on the popcorn got lower and lower when Regan and I reached for popcorn at the same time making our hands touch. I felt my face go hot letting her have the last handful of popcorn. I stared at her hand on the arm rest. I slowly put my hand in hers looking at her she didn't look phased and her eyes didn't leave the big screen as I intertwined our fingers together. 

Our hands never moved till the ending credits rolled and the lights went back on " that was such a good movie. Did you like it?" Regan asked. " I loved it the music was so good. Have to get the record when it comes out" walking into the lobby. " Let's play in the arcade" regan said interlocking our arms.

I watched her play space invaders she went to each level with ease " I think you might get a high score" her focus was on the game. " Dang it!" she did get a high score on space invaders. " I bet you a dollar that I can beat you at this car racing game" I smirked. " You're on!" handing me a quarter. " Prepare to be a loser" I pressed on the gas petal. Regan's car passed me right away we went back and forth for a bit till she knocked my car into a rail " shit!" Regan laughs. " I win hand over the money, loser" I pouted putting the four quarters into her palm. " Don't worry, I'll share" putting her hand on my cheek. I froze in place putting my hand where hers once was. " hey loser want to play or not?" we played in the arcade till we ran out of quarters.